Friday, January 20, 2012

Strawberry Blossoms

This week's dictionary poke:

In lieu of the vacationing Thursday Prompt, landed my finger smack onto "strawberry." Adding the word "blossoms" to it, then, got us chapter 48 of Neighbors. The previous chapters, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, and 47, fall under their respective numbers in case you'd like to do any reviewing...


     It was a weird feeling, rolling down the street without at 

least one animal sitting on me or clinging to me or batting me 

in the head and telling me something I probably didn't want to 

hear.

     Because that pretty much summed up the last few weeks of my 

life at that point.  No, not just weeks.  Not even just months.  

More like years: the decade or so I'd been riding this 

chair, my four or five years on crutches before that, my very 

first cane way back in second grade.  Ever since then, there'd 

always been something about me that made me stand out, something 

that stopped me from blending in with a crowd.  

     And, yes, sure, I'm exactly like everybody else in wanting 

to be special, unique and remarkable.  I just don't want to be 

special, unique and remarkable in the weird and ugly way that I 

actually am...

     I realized then that I'd just crossed Delacourt Street half 

a block from Deena's house, so I grabbed the wheels, slowed 

myself, not sure if that would be the best place for me right 

then.  It was still kind of early--after nine o'clock, I knew, 

but probably not ten yet; I really needed to get a wristwatch or 

something--and I'm not the best company when I'm on the verge of 

falling off the cliff of self-pity.

     Still--and however terrible it was for me to think this--

knowing that Deena had problems of her own made me feel better 

about heading over there.  Not that I was happy she had all 

those needle marks up and down her arms and that her mother had 

left her and her dad--and not that I would ever bring those 

things up in conversation, either, since, I mean, I had plenty 

of things in my own life that I didn't want to talk about.

     But with Deena and her dad, it was like it didn't really 

matter that I was all stove in and peculiar.  Like I said, they 

had problems of their own, so mine didn't seem to be as "in the 

spotlight" as they usually did.

     About then, I started hearing Heather, her tiny yips barely 

audible: "Out in the morning, out in the dirt!" she was singing.  

"Out in the morning, out in the dirt!"

     So I knew I wouldn't be waking everybody up...

     The barest little breeze brushed against my face, so I was 

able to get all the way up to the front gate without Heather 

noticing me.  But then she was busy squatting in the grass, her 

tail a blur, her entire attention focused on Deena, down on her 

hands and knees along the ivy-encrusted brick wall that ran 

between the Schwarbers' place and the house next door.  A wooden 

pallet maybe two feet square sat beside the two of them, little 

plants covering it: spiky, dark green bunches of leaves with a 

few tiny white flowers scattered among them.  

     Deena was digging a hole in the strip of dirt below the 

ivy, and I could see others of the little plants already in 

their places along the wall till the corner of the house blocked 

my view of them.  But as much as I just wanted to sit there and 

watch the pretty girl and her pretty dog wholly engrossed in as 

gentle and sweet an activity as anyone could want, that struck 

me as more than a little creepy.  

     So I cleared my throat, smiled when Heather whirled and 

leaped toward me, her rapid-fire barks coming to me as: "One 

more step, and I'll show you what teeth can do when properly 

applied!  I'll--!"  Her whole body reacted when she recognized 

me, and the threatening barks turned joyful.  "Mr. Augie!  You 

smell so unlike yourself without the El Brujo kitty woven 

through you, I didn't recognize you at first!  But since it's 

you, please don't worry: I'll keep my teeth to myself."

     I thanked her, reached my hand through the slats of the 

fence, and let her dap my fingertips with her nose and tongue.

     "Oh!" Deena said.  "Hi, Gus!"

     And maybe it was just all the practice I'd been having the 

last couple days, but I barely had to swallow to switch from 

animal speech to human language.  "Hi, Deena.  I'm glad you're 

up."

     Her smile made me even gladder.  "I probably wouldn't be, 

but Dad left a message on my phone saying he had a surprise in 

the garage."  She stroked the nearest little plant.  "Aren't 

they beautiful?"

     Not the word I would've chosen: I mean, they made me think 

of those ferns you see in dinosaur books, all lumpy and jagged 

with giant dragonflies hovering around them.  "They're not 

tomatoes," I finally managed to say.  At least, I was pretty 

sure they weren't.  But for the life of me, I couldn't tell.

     She laughed, and every last drop of self-pity just drained 

right out of me: I was the luckiest guy in the world to be right 

there right then.  "I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're 

not a plant person."

     I cocked my head at her.  "Out on a limb?"

     It took her a couple blinks before she realized what she'd 

said, and I got to hear some more of her laughter.  "I didn't 

mean to make a pun!"

     "Always the best kind."  I tickled Heather under the chin.  

"Are they tomatoes?"

     "Strawberries," she said, picking one of the plants up and 

sniffing its single tiny flower.  "They don't smell like 

anything yet, but knowing what they're gonna turn into, I always 

imagine I can get a little whiff from them."  She swiveled back 

to the hole she'd dug, settled the plant in, smoothed dirt 

around the base of it, then straightened.  "A couple or three 

months, and we're gonna be rolling in these things!"  She met my 

gaze again.  "So where's your entourage?"

     Even if I could've explained, I wouldn't've.  I was 

feeling too good to dwell on all that.  "They gave me the 

morning off," I said.  "But they'll be along to help before too 

long."  Though at that point I wasn't sure if that would be a 

good thing or not.  Still, I sat back in my chair and rolled 

myself toward their front gate.  "But let's see about some dog 

training."


You can see about it as well by heading on to 49!

No comments:

Post a Comment