Friday, December 16, 2011

Prospects

For those of you who may have joined us late, this is part 43 of an apparent 75-part saga the first 45 parts of which have been and will be inspired by the Thursday Prompt, soon to be running its course over at Poetigress's place. So, as you might surmise, there have been 42 previous parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42.

This one, though, comes to us courtesy of the phrase "a friend in need."

     "Such an interesting question," El Brujo said, her grin so 

huge, she practically did a Cheshire Cat and vanished behind it.  

"Whom do you consider the cleverer species, August: dogs or 

squirrels?"

     Very aware of Serena clinging to my upper arm and Heather 

sitting in Deena's lap, their ears perking in a way I found both 

cute and menacing, I was forced to fall back into the last 

refuge of the scoundrel: literal honesty.  "I've never trained a 

dog before," I told Deena.

     And her grin, oh, I would've dared any number of 

threatening squirrels to see that.  "Well, here's your chance!"  

She picked Heather up, the little dog's tail exploding like one 

of those big fireworks on the Fourth of July, and held her so 

their noses touched.  "Would you like to be Gus's student, 

Heather?  Would you like to learn tricks like your friend 

Serena?"

     "Our names!"  Serena scrambled up onto my shoulder again.  

"Heather!  Deena is talking about us together!"

     Her tiny pink tongue flashing over and over against Deena's 

nose, Heather was already saying, "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!"  

But she added with further yips and wiggles and for all I know 

even released scents--after six months of being the only human 

on the planet who can understand it, I'm still not quite sure 

how animal speech works--"She knows that you and I are to be 

best friends forever!"

     Lowering the squirming Heather back into her lap and 

tickling her belly, Deena set those dark eyes on me.  "Whaddaya 

say, Gus?"

     All I could manage to get out through my jagged throat was 

the same phrase: "I've never trained a dog before."

     "But if it works, Gus," Deena's father said from his chair 

to my left, "you could maybe go into business."  His tone of 

voice made me look over, but the dagger-sharp edge of his smile 

made me wish I hadn't.  

     Because even though I knew as absolute fact that he wasn't 

my dad, wasn't the go-getter who made the news sometimes with 

his buying and selling, who produced profits in ways and places 

other people had never ever thought about before, and who 

left considerations like law and etiquette and his own flesh-

and-blood for his hirelings to work out, even though I knew Mr. 

Schwarber wasn't that guy, that edge in his smile, that honed 

and glittering edge...

     He was going on: "There's a lotta folks right here in the 

neighborhood, I'll bet, who'd be happy to bring their dogs to 

you for a tune-up.  And it's something you like doing, isn't 

it?"

     "It'll be great!"  Deena clapped her hands and bounced on 

the sofa.  "When can we start?  What can I do to help?"

     "No!" I shouted in animal speech, unable to say it to her 

in a way she could understand.  "I mean, how can I be anyone's 

trainer??  I can't even control myself!"

     Heather's ears dipped.  "We just want to help you, Mr. 

Augie.  Please?"

     I could smell it, too, pure and sweet like the scent of 

freshly baked bread, the way Deena and her dad and her dog all 

thought they were helping, thought I needed something to do.  "I 

don't--" I started to say out loud.

     "Actually, August," El Brujo interrupted me quietly.  "It's 

not so much that the Schwarbers want to help you.  It's 

more that they'd really rather focus on something other than 

their own problems for a change."

     And in fact, all three of them were already drooping.  "You 

don't?" Deena asked, the disappointment in her voice cracking my 

heart.

     Which pretty much settled it: I held up a hand, took a 

breath, concentrated on relaxing my throat.  "I don't know where 

to start.  But--"  The lovely flare of hope in her eyes made my 

concentration falter, but I swallowed and kept going: "With all 

of us together, maybe we can figure it out."

     She clapped and bounced again, her happy little squeak 

making Heather jump up and start bouncing, too.  Which very 

definitely settled it: anything I could do to make her do 

that from now on, I would.  "Can we start tomorrow??"  Deena 

looked at her father.  "Should we wait till you get back from 

work, Dad, or--?"

     "Naw."  He waved a hand.  "You two get started, and you can 

show me Heather jumping through a flaming hoop when I get home."

     El Brujo actually giggled at that, something I don't think 

I'd ever heard before.  The Schwarbers lifted my chair back up 

the step into the hallway, and I rolled through the kitchen 

between them, Mr. Schwarber opening the garage doors, Deena 

behind me asking, "You gonna be OK getting back to the house, 

Gus?"

     And as much as I wanted to have her walk me there, I said, 

"I'll be fine.  Tomorrow at one.  OK?"

     "OK!"  She touched a hand to the shoulder Serena wasn't 

riding, and I swear, the jolt of contact with her nearly shook 

me out of my seat.  "I'll even give Heather a bath first!"

     Rolling past Mr. Schwarber, I waved back at them both, took 

a right at the sidewalk, and started toward Chrysalis House, the 

spring evening warmer than just the weather could account for.

     El Brujo did the feline equivalent of clearing her throat.  

"Perhaps we can order you a whip and a chair online somewhere."

     It took some effort, but I didn't poke her in the nose.  

"Actually, online's a good place to start: maybe someone's got 

some dog training videos somewhere."

     She blinked at me.  "Perhaps it's escaped your notice, 

August, that you can merely ask Heather to perform whatever 

trick you wish, and she will endeavor till her final doggy 

breath to accomplish said trick."

     Serena scurried partway down my arm.  "It's true.  Heather 

is a very good dog and will want to be helpful."

     I shook my head.  "It's like you said, El Brujo: this is 

about helping Deena.  And you heard her, right?  The one thing 

she absolutely does not need in her life right now is 

anything that looks like magic.  From now on, the two words for 

everything we do are 'stable' and 'sensible.'"

     "Really?"  El Brujo licked a paw.  "Alas, I fear none of us 

qualify in either of those fields."

Which leads us on to 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment