Friday, July 15, 2011

Change of Venue

So! After 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 comes #21, based on Poetigress's last Thursday Prompt, the words "the room."

     "So," El Brujo continued, "our second goal--"

     But I interrupted her.  "Sorry, Bru, but we can't--"

     "Can't??"  Jefe slapped a wing against my pillow case.  

"That's a word we don't use, 'Mano!"

     I rolled my eyes at him.  "Fine.  But--"

     "No 'buts,'" Honoria said.  She'd settled onto the sleeping 

bag at the end of the bed beside El Brujo, their respective 

feathers and fur sleek and black against the dark green.  "You 

gotta think positive you wanna get this lady!"

     "I know.  I just--"

     "No!"  Seena leaped from the bedpost to land in my lap, her 

little claws digging into my shirt front, her tail frizzing up 

behind her head, her beady black eyes fixed on mine.  "We will 

not allow any unhappy thoughts to cloud your brain, Mr. Augie!  

We will see you through to happiness no matter what forces 

attempt to prevent it!"

     The two crows and the cat all nodded emphatically at this, 

and I tried mightily not to sigh.  "And I'm grateful.  Honestly.  

I do have some important information, however, that I 

need to share with you all, and I'd really, really appreciate it 

if you didn't keep interrupting me while I tried to do it!"

     Once again, I felt very happy that whatever process I use 

to talk to animals is barely audible to regular human ears 

'cause by the time I got to the end, there, I was as close to 

yelling as I think I'd ever been since the same fibrous growths 

that were slowly paralyzing me had also begun reshaping my 

nervous system to make communicating with animals a lot easier 

for me than talking to people.

     The birds were staring at me, Serena peering up over the 

edge of the bedstead.  But El Brujo just gave me her half-lidded 

look and said, "Really, August.  Such outbursts are most 

unseemly."

     "And I'll be happy to talk about that," I told her.  

"Somewhere other than here."  I crooked a thumb at the closed 

door behind me.  "'Cause the guy who, more than anyone else, 

gets to decide on whether I can continue living in this room or 

not is gonna be knocking on that door in maybe five minutes and 

asking if I've gotten rid of the squirrel yet."

     Serena ducked down till just the tips of her ears were 

visible.  "He was a very scary man," she offered.

     El Brujo's ears folded slightly.  "Eric has a great deal 

more simian in him than one likes in one's humans."

     "Ah."  Honoria clicked her beak a couple times.  

"Territorial, huh?"

     I scowled.  "He's not--"  I stopped, not sure why I felt 

the need to defend him.  "He has legitimate concerns," I finally 

decided on.  "And one of them is non-approved people--or 

creatures--in the rooms of what's technically a medical 

facility."  I spread my hands.  "So I'm just saying we oughtta 

move this discussion somewhere--"

     "Ramsay's place," Jefe said, leaping from my pillow to the 

windowsill.  "They're still outta town, and the way we're 

getting down into the weeds of human nature here with all this 

romance stuff, well, I don't know no one who knows humans 

better'n Traveler."  He tapped his talons against the wood.  

"That dog's seen some things, lemme tell you!"

     Her ears still at half-mast, El Brujo nonetheless nodded.  

"Traveler is quite the gentlepooch, I'll allow.  His input might 

prove quite valuable."  She gave me a stern look.  "As long as 

you don't accept any poetry advice from him!"

It all rolls merrily on from here, then, into 22!

No comments:

Post a Comment