Friday, May 6, 2011

Openings and Closings

Looks like a plot starting to form out of all this stuff I've been kicking together for Poetigress's Thursday Prompts, so you might wanna make sure you read number 10 before this one. Or go and read 'em all: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10!

     "Are you getting up at all today?" Donna's voice asked 

through the door.  "'Cause your cat's laying out here in the 

hallway making it a little hard to get past."

     And as tempted as I was to not answer, to just let the 

whole damn world go hang--  "Go ahead and let her in, thanks, 

Donna.  And sorry.  I...I think maybe I've been overdoing it 

lately."

     The clatter of her keys in the lock, the swish of the door 

over the carpet.  "Go on, Brujo," Donna said.  "D'you need a 

Tylenol or anything, Gus?"

     I kept my face pressed into my pillow, reached a hand over 

for my nightstand, rattled the pill bottle there while 

pretending to groan the way I would've if my shoulders had 

actually been hurting.  "I'll be OK," I told her.  I mean, I was 

already lying to her; what difference would one more make?

     "OK."  I heard the door scrape shut and her key relock it.  

That's the best reason, after all, for being polite to the 

staff: when you want to be an ass, they'll put up with it for a 

little while.

     Another shuffle, a whoosh and a weight thumping onto the 

end of the bed.  "I take it," El Brujo asked, her voice sharp as 

a knife, "that you don't care one way or another if I've yet 

eaten this morning?"

     "Oh, good," I said into the pillow.  "Push my guilt button.  

Just what I need right now."

     She sniffed, the weight of her moving slowly but steadily 

along my side toward my head.  "What you need is a good, 

swift kick, August."  She paused, set a paw on my lower back 

exactly on the border where all my lower dead flesh starts 

melting into the upper parts of me that can still feel, and let 

her claws tap my skin ever so gently.  "Besides, isn't your 

little pony program on today?  The final episode of the season, 

is it not?"

     The only thing that kept me from swatting her right then 

was the healthy respect I've gained for her ability to make my 

life a living Hell when she feels the need.  "Oh, look."  I 

waved a hand vaguely upward.  "The window's open.  Perhaps a 

certain cat of my acquaintance would like to leap up there and 

settle in for a long, luscious nap.  I know I sure would 

if I was able to."

     A second paw joined the first, then a third and a fourth 

and finally the full warm stretch of her furry belly, El Brujo 

stradling almost the whole length of my back.  "If you miss your 

program, you'll never forgive yourself, you know."

     "I'll catch it on YouTube later."

     "It won't be the same."  She started kneading between my 

shoulder blades, sharp little pinprinks moving in and out.

     "It'll be exactly the same!"

     "On your laptop instead of the big screen in the front 

room?  The sound rattling from those tinny little speakers 

instead of from the--"

     "God damn it!"  I shoved my hands under my chest and 

pushed, flipped myself onto my side, glared at her easily 

jumping over my torso to land at the edge of the mattress.  "Why 

should I care about some stupid little fantasy show, huh??  God 

damn friendship is God damn magic my God damn ass!  It's just a 

cartoon, not anything real, and I sure as Hell don't need 

to be wasting my time with it!"

     "Of course," she said, her eyes half-closed.  "Because you 

live so firmly in the real world, after all."

     I reached down to straighten my tangled legs, refused to 

look at her.

     "And your real world is one of ashes and sackcloth, isn't 

it?  One where you'd rather sit in the darkness and eat worms 

than roll up to the full banquet and indulge, isn't it?"

     She was getting too close, damn her.  Same as she always 

did.  And the fear that gripped my gut made me want to fling 

myself back down, bury myself in the blankets, pretend that none 

of it had happened, that I hadn't seen the horror on her 

face when she'd turned around and run back into her house.

     "You still have time," El Brujo murmured right into my ear, 

and I jumped, snapped my head around, almost slammed my nose 

into hers.

     "Time??" I couldn't keep from shouting.  "For what??  To 

have her call the cops??  To see the curtains rustle on her 

front window when she sees it's me and runs deeper into the 

house??  To have her call me a monster or laugh in my face or 

drip pity from her eyes??  Time for that??"

     El Brujo blinked slowly.  "Time for your program."  She 

nodded to the digital clock on my nightstand.  "Fifteen minutes 

to get into your chair and out into the front room."  She raised 

a paw, licked between the toes, her claws popping in and out 

meaningfully.  "I could help you move faster, but I doubt either 

of us would enjoy that."  Those dark, deep eyes fixed on me, and 

I couldn't look away.  "One way or another, however, you will be 

leaving this bed within the next few minutes."

     It made me grit my teeth, but--  "Fine."  I shuffled 

around, El Brujo jumping to the floor.  "If it'll get me some 

peace, I'll go watch the damn show."

     "Of course."  She licked her paw again.  "Then we'll take a 

trip down the block to see how little Heather is getting along.  

We've not been by since last week, after all, and I always worry 

about a puppy in a new house.  Must be good neighbors, mustn't 

we?"

     "No!"  I slapped a hand against the mattress, but, well, it 

was a mattress.  Not the thing for a big dramatic crash, in 

other words.  "I don't want--!"

     "But you do, August.  You want it desperately."  Her 

voice was quiet, but every word bit.  "And while it may all come 

to naught, that's the guaranteed outcome should you 

continue lying here."

     "God..." I muttered, flipping my legs down and inching 

myself over to position them in front of my chair.

     She huffed.  "And here I thought you considered yourself an 

agnostic."  She reached a paw up, patted the cuffs of my 

pajamas.  "No need for the tuxedo yet, of course, but I might 

recommend something a bit spiffier than that."

     I couldn't help laughing, slinging myself into the seat, 

unlocking the wheels, rolling to the dresser.  "Maybe my 'I'm 

not crazy' t-shirt?"

     "Really, August."  She slipped between the wheels and 

leaped up onto the dresser.  "As if they'd let you have one of 

those."

The story continues with 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment