Saturday, May 28, 2011

Onto the Rocks

The 14th in the continuing saga inspired by the "prompts" Poetigress puts up on her page there every Thursday. There's previous ones, too: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13, in fact.

     Now, this is one of the parts of this story that I don't 

much like.  Not just because I come off looking like such a 

jerk--though there is that, of course--but because it shows I'm 

really no better than anyone else.  And I hate that!

     'Cause I'm sitting in my chair on the sidewalk outside 

Deena's front gate and she's standing there on the porch, her 

dad beside her and Heather, her little dachshund-terrier mix, 

scampering back and forth through the scruffy yard of the house 

they've been moving into all week and she tells me she's here to 

go to rehab at the place where I've been a resident since my 

nervous system starting coming unstrung and she's looking down 

instead of at me and she pulls back the sleeve of her sweater to 

show me the needle tracks jagged and zig-zagging up and down her 

arm--

     And, I mean, I'm the guy in the wheelchair!  I should know 

better than to feel sorry for her, shouldn't I?  I shouldn't be 

sitting there thinking, "Oh, how brave she is, struggling to 

overcome this terrible condition," right?  'Cause I get that all 

the time, and it drives me insane!

     "Get to know me," I wanna shout at people.  "That'll show 

you real quick that I'm no braver or nobler than anybody else!  

And if you keep looking at me like I am, you're gonna get a big 

black cat lobbed at your head!"

     Not that I'd really try to throw El Brujo; I doubt I'd 

survive the attempt...

     But the point is: I get pity poured over me as regular as a 

waitress pours coffee, and there's no such thing as de-caf pity.  

So what do I do the first time I meet someone who's got a 

problem as big as mine but in a completely different way?

     The feeling blossomed up inside me as big and red and waxy 

as a hibiscus flower!  I'd never had a literal knee-jerk 

reaction before, but this, it was like some call and response!  

The bell rang, and I drooled, the aroma of that cartoon pie 

lifting me into the air and drifting me toward it, the song of 

the siren pulling me onto the rocks: I'm surprised I didn't cry 

out, "Oh, you poor thing!" right then and there!

     And what's worse?  Deena could smell it same as I can, and 

if she'd been a dog, her ears would've drooped.  "Excuse me," 

she whispered, her voice breaking, and she pushed past her dad 

back into the house.

     Heather gave a little yip.  "Deena!"  The puppy rocketed 

after her.  "Wait!  What happened??  Why are you so sad??"

     Which left me sitting there, El Brujo on my lap, staring at 

Mr.--  And I didn't even know his name, didn't know her last 

name, didn't know anything except I'd managed to shove my face 

into the fan blades yet again.

     "She, uhh,..." her dad said.  He was pretty young to be 

anyone's dad, I thought, maybe late 40s when Deena was probably 

in her early 20s, but then I don't have a lot of experience with 

the whole family thing.  He cleared his throat.  "It was nice 

meeting you, anyway, Gus.  We'll probably see you at Chrysalis 

House when...when Deena starts her sessions."  He gave me a 

little smile, stepped inside, and closed the door.

     And what's even worse?  The part that makes me into such a 

jerk?  The part that's making me grind my teeth just thinking 

about it?

     The next thing that went through my mind after the pity 

train had blasted through, was: "Well, I don't wanna get 

involved with somebody like that."

More--specifically part 15 of the whole thing--lies across that thin internet divide.

No comments:

Post a Comment