Friday, June 3, 2011

Never the Twain

The 15th in this series I'm doing based on the Thursday Prompts from Poetigress. The previous installments are as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

     "He looks so life-like," the crow's rough voice said 

quietly from the windowsill above my bed, but I refused to open 

my eyes, refused to make any sort of acknowledgement that I'd 

heard him.

     "Yes," El Brujo said, her voice also coming from the 

windowsill.  "Not at all as pasty and unpleasant as 

usual."

     Jefe laughed scratchy as claws on slate.  "Moping becomes 

him?"

     "Very much so.  He's never quite as radiant as when he's 

feeling sorry for himself."

     "And all because of this new chica down the block?"

     "Well, she's just his type, Jefe: human and female."

     "Then why--?"

     I groaned, stretched my left arm across my eyes, tried not 

to see Deena standing on her front porch thin but not too thin, 

curvy but not too curvy, tall but not too tall, her dark jagged 

hair and her little round glasses and the heart-breakingly brief 

smile on her oh so serious face--

     'Cause once I pictured her, I knew I'd picture the scarred 

mess of the needle marks along her forearm, knew I'd feel again 

the dank heaviness of the air when she pulled back her sleeve to 

show me, knew I'd hear the catch of her breath, the shake in her 

voice, the rip of a woman I'd only met for a couple minutes one 

time before baring her soul to me, showing me a part of herself 

that she had to know would make me...make me--

     "Oh, it's simple, Jefe.  He doesn't like her now that he 

knows she's not a perfect plastic angel."

     "Damn it!"  I couldn't help flinging the blankets down, 

crooking a shaking finger up at the cat and the crow silhouetted 

against the blacker black of the spring night outside, the 

curtains rippling ghost-like in the breeze, catching the orange 

of the streetlights around the front of the house.  "Don't put 

words in my mouth, Brujo!  Or thoughts in my head, or anything 

else anywhere else!  You hear me??"

     As always, I was glad yelling so animals could understand 

it didn't make a sound as far as human ears were concerned, but 

for all the reaction I got from the two of them, it was like I'd 

done nothing at all.  I jammed the mattress with my elbows, 

wrenched myself over onto my side, closed my eyes again.

     "Yeesh."  Jefe's beak clicked.  "Sensitive, isn't he?"

     "It's his curse."  The scorn in El Brujo's voice made the 

skin tighten along the back of my neck.  "He's so concerned that 

his fellow humans not judge him by his twitching and his 

lurching that when he observes the twitching and lurching of 

others, it just cuts him right down to the bone."

     "Just say it," I murmured.  "Just call me a hypocrite and 

get it over with, huh?"

     "I, August?"  It was the first time she'd used my 

name in days, and it felt like a cool glass of water on a summer 

day.  "Why should I say it when you already have?"

     "Just--"  I was so tired: tired of not sleeping, tired of 

dragging the weight of my thoughts around and around in my head.  

"How, Brujo?"  It came out as more of a whimper than I would've 

liked.  "She's--  I don't know what she is!  And I'm--  

Hell, I don't know what I am, either!"

     No sound anywhere around me, not from the rest of the house 

and not from the windowsill.  "But whatever it is," I went on, 

the pillowcase damp against the side of my face, "if you put us 

on a scale, she'd be all the way at one end, and I'd be all the 

way at the other.  She's been out in the world in ways I can't 

even begin to imagine, and I've been rolling around these 

hallways and this neighborhood talking to birds and cats!"  I 

twisted my neck, stared up at the two silent shadows.  "How can 

that work, huh?  How can anything like that ever work?"

     "Simple."  El Brujo slipped from the windowsill, landed 

with a light thud on the sheets in front of me, pressed her soft 

furry self into the crook of my neck.  "You say 'hello.'  Same 

as you did that first time to me.  Then you let it go from 

there."

     "Truth," Jefe said above us.

     I wrapped my arms around El Brujo, found her ears, 

scratched them till she was purring.  "All right," I whispered 

into her back.  "All right.  I will."

And the 16th one comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment