Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flashback

Our table of contents these days is as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21. This one, then, is the 22nd of our visits to the Neighborhood inspired by the Thursday Prompt over at Poetigress's place, slightly delayed due to Comic-Con. It's from July 21st, and the word was "broken."

     Rolling out of the house that afternoon, I felt like the 

villain in a spy movie, El Brujo draped across my lap looking as 

innocent as only a fluffy black cat can--not very, in other 

words--and Serena quivering against my chest, her claws little 

pinpricks through the thin material of my shirt.

     A line from some TV show popped into my head--"Where I come 

from, they hang a man for sheet stealing!  Or was that sheep?"--

and I flashed back to the absolute last place I wanted to be: 

the Newport Coast house as a seven-year-old, Mom and Dad and 

Lizzie and--

     The reaction froze me solid as usual, my hands locking onto 

the wheelchair rims, my fingers crooking into things more like 

claws.  I couldn't breathe, of course, or rather, I could 

breathe, but my lungs scraped the inside of my chest like rough-

cut balls of splintery wood, tiny jabs of pain slicing up and 

down me as fine as razor blades.

     Because I'd seen this movie before, had lived it so 

many times the last fifteen--God, was it fifteen years??  The 

beginning of my paralysis just when I was starting second grade; 

Mom and Dad smiling, saying how we'd all get through this 

together till the crash, the car spinning off a rain-slicked 

Coast Highway and down the rocky cliff into the Pacific; Mom and 

Lizzie's screams cutting off with a shrieking of metal and a 

crunching of bone; hanging, wrapped in that car seat, my own 

screams growing hoarse as the rescue crews braced the wreckage 

and began cutting me free; sitting in my chair next to Dad at 

the funeral, the air ice between us; the ice thickening, 

solidifying, widening the gap between us--

     Ten years, I knew, a thought I'd been desperately trying to 

keep out of the front part of my brain: ten years since I'd last 

seen him, Dad's face a carved mask, his mouth moving, words 

coming out that said this would be the best for both of us.  A 

twelve-year-old kid in a wheelchair staring at his father 

driving away before the "Welcome to Chrysalis House" party had 

even started, and then?

     Then nothing.  Dad paid whatever it took to keep me here, 

and here I stayed, one of those cymbal-banging monkey toys 

slowly winding down, getting more and more sluggish till one day 

it would creak rustily to a halt with no one to care one way or 

the other about--

     "Miss Brujo!  Why has he stopped??  What has--??"

     "Oh, dear."  A pat of velvet paw at my face.  "August?  You 

need to come back to the 'now.'  The past is gone and cannot 

change.  But the 'now' is here and flexible."

     "Mr. Augie!  Please!  Soon we will attract the attention of 

your keepers!  We must--"

     "Silence, please, Serena.  I've experience in this area."  

The soft patting against my cheek went suddenly hard and sharp, 

a bundle of tiny knives slapping me hard enough to shock me 

back, make me blink, El Brujo's dark chocolate eyes inches from 

my own.  "We've no time for such nonsense now, August," she 

said.  "Kindly pull yourself together."

     Serena's pointed ears and rounded snout popped up behind 

her.  "Mr. Augie!  Are you broken?  I can make a glue from 

acorns and spit if that will help!"

     El Brujo's eyes rolled.  "How could that not help?"

     I touched my cheek, expected my fingers to come away 

bloody, but while my face still buzzed where she'd struck, El 

Brujo hadn't broken the skin.  I couldn't help smiling; she was 

a professional, after all, as she never stopped telling me.  

     A shaky breath, and I managed to get out, "I'm fine," glad 

I didn't have to use my dry and scratchy throat to say it.  "And 

by fine, I mean 'a physical, emotional, and mental wreck.'  But, 

hey: po-tay-to, po-tah-to."

     The squirrel just blinked at me, El Brujo turning to settle 

herself on my lap again.  "I've warned you, August: If you're 

going to sing, you need to warn me at least fifteen minutes 

beforehand."  She gestured toward the front gate with her nose.  

"Shall we be getting along now?  We've appointments to keep."

Which leads us on to 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment