Thursday, December 29, 2011

Incorporation

This, chapter 45, marks the conclusion of the Thursday Prompts over at Poetigress's place. Starting is February, Duroc will be taking 'em over, but for the upcoming month of January, I'll be slapping chapters together on my own!

Still, you can read the earlier bits of this whole thing by choosing appropriately from the following selections--1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, and 44--and we'll all meet back here next week for Part 46!

Oh, and the final prompt? "Saying goodbye."

     Now, I'd like to say that I woke up the next morning ready 

to take on the world, ready to kick my fears down the stairs, 

chuck my doubts out the window, give the butterflies in my 

stomach the ol' heave-ho and face the future with firm chin and 

steely eyes.

     But, well, I'm trying to be honest in this whole thing, 

aren't I?  So instead, I've gotta admit I woke up bleary-eyed, 

choking, and itchy, a fair portion of El Brujo's considerable 

bulk spread over my face.

     Have I mentioned she sheds in her sleep?

     This led to some flailing, sneezing and gasping on my part 

and some growling, sniffing and recriminations from El Brujo: 

"Were you humans not so devoid of sensible fur, you'd no doubt 

suffer far fewer allergic reactions."

     Falling into my chair, I somehow got myself down the hall 

to the bathroom, scraped away the layers of dander and dried cat 

spit till I found my face, scrubbed it with the hottest water I 

could stand, and rolled back into my bedroom only to see Serena 

and Honoria perched on the windowsill, El Brujo seated like some 

Egyptian statue on my pillow.  "Well??" Honoria shrieked, waving 

her wings so wildly, she would've knocked Serena right over 

backwards if the squirrel hadn't ducked.  "We going into 

business or what??"

     I spun to close the door--most animals are pretty quiet 

when they speak, but, well, crows are crows.  "Gonna choose 

'what,' I think," I told Honoria.  "As in 'what the heck are you 

talking about?'"

     El Brujo's tail twitched.  "Apparently, the other partners 

in our little endeavor have been brainstorming all night.  And 

they've decided--"

     "I heard it all!"  Honoria leaped onto the pillow beside El 

Brujo and strutted to the highest point of my mounded blankets, 

her black eyes gleaming.  "Outside Deena's window last night!  

How we're going into the dog training business!"

     And those butterflies in my stomach I mentioned earlier on?  

Each of 'em grew another couple pairs of wings at that point.  

"We?" I managed to ask.

     "Well, yeah!"  She cocked her head.  "Like El Brujo said, 

we're partners, right?  All working to get you and Deena 

together and happy and all that!  And Traveler thinks this is 

the best idea he's ever heard!"

     "It is!"  Serena jumped to the top of my bedstead, her tail 

jittering over her head.  "I have said so from the beginning, 

and to hear Mr. Traveler agree only confirms my opinion that he 

is a very smart dog!"

     I stared from her to El Brujo to Honoria and back again, my 

mind a jumble.  Because, well, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a 

couple times--OK, maybe more like a couple dozen times--how much 

I didn't want to use my ability to understand and speak 

to animals that way.  But more than that, sitting there, looking 

at a squirrel, a cat, and a crow all standing within a yard of 

each other and not hissing or screaming or fighting, it--

     It just wasn't natural!  And it was all my fault!

     Which, I'll admit, sounds kind of stupid to say, but again, 

I'm trying to be honest, trying to lay out exactly--more or 

less--what was going through my mind when all this stuff was 

happening.  And one of my major worries was something El Brujo 

had said way back at the beginning, back six months ago when 

Donna had first brought her into Chrysalis House and she'd 

decided I was the most interesting case in the place.

     See, in the four-and-a-half years before that, I don't 

think I'd gone outside the House more than twice.  But El Brujo 

kept after me to show her around the neighborhood, and, well, 

maybe you know what it's like when a cat wants you to do 

something?  A few hours of her commentary, each phrase more 

pointed than the last, and I was rolling out the side door of 

Chrysalis House with her stretched over my lap for the first 

time.

     But the more I went out, the more I started talking with 

the birds and the possums and the cats and dogs and lizards and 

all.  And the more I talked to them, the more their behavior 

started changing.  

     Because as I started talking to them and them to me, they 

started talking to each other, too, started getting to know each 

other, started forming friendships and alliances and turning the 

six or eight blocks around Chrysalis House into something like 

nowhere else in the world: a real actual neighborhood of 

animals.

     At first, I'd thought this was great, hearing the jazzy new 

riffs the birds put into their songs or gophers debating the 

ethics of stealing from human gardens.  But then El Brujo had 

said something in passing after I'd recited one of the poems 

Traveler had put together in her honor.  "Yes, yes," she'd said, 

her ears flicking, "culture's all very well, of course, but how 

does a dance routine help a crow stay alive?  What if a squirrel 

becomes so distracted in contemplating the concept of existence 

that she gets snatched up by an owl or a hawk?"

     It had gotten me thinking, and I didn't much like the place 

those thoughts had taken me.  It all came back to me, after all, 

to me being the bridge between human thought and the animal 

kingdom.  Just by talking to them, I was getting them thinking, 

and by thinking, they were changing, saying good-bye to the 

natural world and becoming--

     I had no idea what they were becoming.  And I doubt any of 

them knew either.

     Sudden movement in my lap, Serena blinking up at me, her 

front paws clasped before her chest.  "Is he all right?" she was 

asking.  "Mr. Augie?  Can...can you hear me?"

     "He can," came El Brujo's voice, dry as the Santa Ana winds 

that blew out of the mountains sometimes.  "That's part of the 

problem, actually."

     A fast rattling sound from Honoria.  "Well, wake him up!  

We're s'pposed to meet Jefe and Traveler to go over what we do 

next."

     Serena scurried up the front of my pajamas, touched her 

nose to mine.  "Mr. Augie?  Will you please wake up and be 

alive?"

     I puffed out a breath, her ears folding back.  "I will," I 

said.  "'Cause whatever happens next, I'm pretty sure it won't 

be boring."

     El Brujo gave a feline snicker.  "That, August, is truly 

one thing you needn't worry about."

Continue on into the fourth act, if you dare, by utilizing the link attached to the number 46!

No comments:

Post a Comment