Friday, November 18, 2011

Philosophy Galore

Of the projected 45 installments, this is number 39; it and the rest of 'em--1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, and 38--are all inspired by the word or phrase that Poetigress post each week as her Thursday Prompt. This week? The word "stray."

     Not more than two hours ago, traveling the stretch of 

sidewalk from the Schwarber's place to Chrysalis House, I'd been 

a shattered chunk of silence, darkness, and despair, a stray dog 

slinking through someone else's territory, half praying to make 

it through unscathed, half hoping for a quick death at the teeth 

of those who truly belonged here.

     But traveling the other way now?  It was still dark and 

silent, sure, the sun having set and none of those with me--Mr. 

Schwarber, El Brujo or Serena--saying anything.  But the lights 

in the houses we passed, I didn't look at them and see them 

mocking me, didn't feel the wall there anymore, the boundary 

that said, "We're inside; you're outside."

     I mean, the same houses, the same lights, the same cracks 

in the sidewalk under my wheels, but--

     Not the same.  Not the same at all.

     It bubbled inside me--hope, relief, maybe even joy--till I 

couldn't keep it inside.  Though I still knew better than to 

speak out loud in human talk.  "She asked him," I said in the 

relative quiet of animal speech, "to come and get me, Bru.  She 

asked him!"

     "Be cautious, August," the cat said in the swish of her 

tail, the set of her whiskers.  "As amusing as your histrionics 

can be at times, I've had just about enough of them for one 

evening."

     "Ha!"  Serena, settled on my right thigh and quivering, 

probably with the effort it took not to go leaping about the way 

any self-respecting squirrel should.  "You will see when we 

arrive, Miss Brujo!  You will see the triumph of love and 

devotion!"

     El Brujo narrowed her eyes.  "I will see only and exactly 

what I will see, no more, Miss Serena, and no less.  You do none 

of us any favors speculating wildly ahead of the facts, and--"

     "Ha!"  This time, the syllable exploded from Serena, sent 

her racing up the front of my jacket; leaping to grab the 

lapels, she hung there chittering, "The happily-ever-afters will 

spring up in a manner both fast and furious!  Rainbows and 

butterflies and that glorious chewy caramel that comes wrapped 

in chocolate!  All will be as well as a soft rain at the 

beginning of spring!  All!"

     "Ummm," from Mr. Schwarber, walking alongside me.  I turned 

my head, met his bemused gaze.  "Everything all right over 

there?"

     Concentrating on being as calm as a person with a squirrel 

dangling from his jacket could be, I got my mouth to form the 

words: "Serena always gets excited."

     He nodded.  "I can't even begin to imagine how you'd start 

training a squirrel."

     A little twinge twisted through me.  I hate lying, and I'd 

always told myself--ever since the animals had started talking 

to me, I mean--I'd always vowed that I wouldn't pretend I was 

training them.  Just the thought of it conjured up pictures of 

me in a red swallow-tailed coat with black top hat and boots, a 

mustache and sneer as thin and curling as the whip I was 

snapping at the animals and forcing them to do my bidding.

     'Cause if there's one thing I think this little narrative 

has shown, it's that I've got no more control over El Brujo and 

Serena and Jefe and Traveler and the rest than I do over the 

string cheese of my nervous system.

     But more than that, see, I didn't want to control 

them.  I don't want to be leader of the pack--or even a member 

of the pack when you get right down to it.  That they've chosen 

to hang out with me, that they've chosen to be friends with me, 

that means so much more than anything I could--

     Which is starting to sound like the moral at the end of 

some pony episode.  So I'll just say that to my way of thinking 

a group of strays is not a pack.  At least my group of 

strays wasn't...

     I realized that Mr. Schwarber was still looking at me.  

"It, uhhh," I managed to say.  "It only works if the squirrel 

co-operates."

     He chuckled, faced forward, and when I did the same, I saw 

we'd worked out way through the neighborhood to their block, the 

streetlights filtering shadows through the ficus leaves and all 

over the sidewalk in the summer darkness ahead.  

     Serena had dug her claws in to the fabric of my coat, was 

clinging to it like some weird corsage.  "All will be well, Mr. 

Augie," she whispered.  "You must believe that to be the case."

     I nodded, my throat going dry, Mr. Schwarber stepping 

forward as we came to their front gate, the porch light hard and 

too bright to look at.  The curtains drawn across the front 

windows glowed invitingly, though, and when Mr. Schwarber held 

the front gate open and said, "C'mon in," I just nodded again 

and spun myself through.


There's much more, you know! 40, for example, which, oddly enough, is the next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment