Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yet Another First Step

Part 29 here is inspired by the phrase "in the old days" given out by Poetigress as part of her Thurday Prompt program. The installment is preceded by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 1-6, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28, so feel free to check out the earlier bits if you'd like for this one to make any sense.

     "I need to brush my hair," Deena said, fidgeting with the 

sleeves of her windbreaker.

     "You already have."  Her father pushed her gently onto the 

front porch and closed the door.  "Three times since supper, 

actually."

     She managed about half a glare at him.  "Proper personal 

hygiene is very important."

     I was sitting in my chair at the end of the driveway, El 

Brujo in my lap.  "I do so enjoy," she said, the slightest bit 

of a purr behind her words, "watching human relationships.  

You're such fascinating creatures."

     "On behalf of the species, I thank you."  Though to tell 

the truth, I couldn't take my eyes off Deena and her father, 

either.  And sure, some of that was because I was completely 

smitten with her--seeing her break down and pull herself back 

together again had been like an arrow right through my heart, 

and all I wanted to do with the rest of my life at that point 

was whatever I could to keep her from ever breaking down again.

     But mostly it was, as El Brujo had said, the whole thing 

between her and her father.  It was an actual loving parent-

child bond, and that was something I knew even less about than 

thin, pale, lovely, broken young women.

     "Wait!" she was saying now, rushing down the steps to the 

lawn.  "We can't just leave--"  She cupped a hand to her mouth.  

"Heather!  C'mon, girl!"

     "Deena!" I heard the little dog shout from the back of the 

house, and a few seconds later, she tore around the side yard, 

her tiny legs pumping as fast as a sewing machine needle.  "Mr. 

Dad!  Mr. Augie!  El Brujo kitty!  And that means all my friends 

are here because Serena is chasing me!"

     "I am!" the squirrel called, bounding from lumpy grass tuft 

to lumpy grass tuft behind Heather.  She pulled up with a 

squeak, though, as Deena crouched down, her arms out, Heather 

jumping in and getting clutched to her chest.

     Deena pressed her face against Heather.  "We can't just 

leave her here alone, Dad!  We'll...we'll hafta call the place 

and cancel the session!"

     El Brujo gave me a look, and I realized I hadn't actually 

offered my services yet.  "I'll watch her," I said.  Switching 

quickly to animal talk, I asked Heather, "Would you be able to 

be good and quiet and sit here on me next to El Brujo?"

     Heather had been a blur of tongue and fur squirming over 

Deena's chest and neck and face, but at my suggestion, she 

froze, her front paws on Deena's biceps, her eyes so wide, I 

wasn't sure she had any room left for the rest of her face.  

"Sit, Mr. Augie?  On you?  Next to El Brujo?"

     Serena swarmed over my shoe and up onto my knee, El Brujo 

somehow restraining herself to just folding one ear partway 

down.  "And I!" the squirrel announced.  "I shall be here as 

well!"

     The moan Heather gave off then was half agony, half 

ecstasy.  "When I am an old dog lying in front of the fire 

watching my puppies' puppies play, this is the day I shall tell 

them about when they want to know the most wonderful thing to 

have ever happened to me!"  She craned her neck around to turn 

those gigantic eyes on Deena, and even though neither of them 

spoke the other's language, well, they sure didn't need me to 

translate.

     "Would you?"  Deena looked from Heather to me and back 

again.  "She...she wouldn't be too much of a handful?"

     For once in my life, I managed not to blurt out the first 

words that came to me--'A dog that small's nothing but a 

handful'--and instead said, "Animals seem to like me."

     Deena's sideways smile made me catch my breath, and I could 

see her eyes moving to glance at the El Brujo and Serena.  

"Yeah, I kinda noticed that."

     I shrugged.  "I always thought I attracted cats 'cause I 

smelled like fish, but I guess that doesn't really explain the 

squirrels..."

     That got a laugh out of her; she took the dozen or so steps 

across the lawn to where I sat and held Heather out to me, her 

smile straining a bit around the edges.  "She'll be all right," 

she asked quietly.  "Won't she?"

     Reaching for the little dog, I couldn't help but brush my 

fingers against hers.  "You've got nothing to worry about," I 

told her, and while I've always been a little too twitchy to be 

what you'd call reassuring, Deena's smile seemed to relax a 

little.  

     She looked back at her dad.  "We going or not?"

     I looked at her father, too, and the expression on his face 

was one I couldn't quite classify.  Wistful, maybe?  Part of it 

involved smiling, though, as he said, "Y'know when they talk 

about 'the good old days'?  Well, these are them, right here and 

right now."

     A little shiver ran through me.  Had he heard what Heather 

had said?  Or was it just--?

     El Brujo twitched her whiskers in a little cat laugh.  

"Families often think alike," she said.

So let's just say that this all continues. That would imply that 30 would come next, seems to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment