Monday, September 5, 2011

Cracks in the Concrete

To imbibe of the previous installments of this whole story-thing I'm writing in response to the Thursday Prompts provided each week by Poetigress, simply click on one of the following numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27.

This 28th, then, comes from the phrase for Sept. 1, "sacred ground."

     I stared at the door Deena had just slammed behind herself 

and couldn't help but feel that I'd just failed some test or 

other, that I should just grab my wheel rims and roll myself 

right back through the kitchen and the garage and out of her 

life.

     "Ah," came a voice behind me, and I slewed around to see 

her father standing there, drying his hands with a dishtowel.  

"I'm guessing you asked something about the museum."

     A glance sideways showed me the little rack, various things 

that would qualify as maybe either tchotchkes or keepsakes 

decorating its shelves.  "I did," was all I said because I 

really didn't want to think about the way I'd probably insulted 

her in every possible way.

     "Deena's past," her father said, and I looked back at him, 

younger than the picture that flashed so horribly through my own 

thoughts at the mention of the word 'father.'  "Part of it's 

sacred ground, and the rest of it's a minefield.  Either way, 

it's usually best not to go walking around in it."

     And as much as I tried biting my lip, I couldn't keep from 

saying, "But you've got to."

     I expected him to throw me out right then and there, but he 

just nodded, his hands still working the dishtowel though I was 

pretty sure they were dry by now.  "Deena needs to decide 

that, though.  I've tried to force the issue, but all I get is 

the same."  He jerked a thumb at the closed door.  "I'm hoping 

the therapists at your place, that they can get her to come 

around, can get her to see..."  His voice trailed off.

     "They're good," I told him.  Not that I knew.  I mean, I 

worked with the physical therapists every day because my father 

paid them to do what they could for me.  But every day, a little 

bit more of me went dead--

     Which is an exaggeration, actually.  I mean, it's not like 

I could feel it, not like when I'd sleep wrong and wake 

up with my arm twisted underneath me and sit up and it would 

flop forward like a slab of cold, dead meat only to slowly start 

pin-prickling its way back to life, the teeth-gritting pain of 

circulation returning.  It wasn't like that.

     My legs are just weight, not cold and not even alive enough 

to feel dead.  It's like being a sea lion in the middle of the 

desert: maybe the way you're built is great for swimming around 

in the water, but, well, there isn't any water....

     So even though what the physical therapists did for me was 

pretty much useless and even though I'd never dealt with the 

whole mental therapy part of Chrysalis House--I really didn't 

relish trying to explain to them the long conversations I had 

with cats and dogs and squirrels and crows and whatnot--I still 

gave them my highest recommendation: "As much as I'm still in 

one piece, it's because of the folks at Chrysalis House."

     El Brujo flicked her ears in my lap.  "You consider me in 

that number, I take it?"

     "Of course," I said, knowing Deena's father wouldn't hear.  

"You're in charge of the ward, after all."

     When I stroked my hand over her, I could feel her purring.  

"Carry on, then," she said.

     I almost had to imagine throwing a big switch in my head to 

click back into human language mode.  "I'm so very, very sorry, 

sir, about getting Deena mad."

     He nodded, tossed the dishtowel to hang over one shoulder, 

stepped forward, and knocked solidly on Deena's bedroom door.  

"It's time to go, honey."

     Ready for her to storm out, to demand I remove myself, to 

refuse to attend her session or to ever have anything to do with 

me again, I cringed back in my chair.  But the door opened 

slowly, quietly, gently, Deena standing there, her eyes red-

rimmed and shimmering, such sadness on her thin face, I wanted 

to throw myself in front of a bus, wheel out into the path of 

one of the many SUVs that filled the neighborhood.  But saying, 

"I'm sorry," was all I could manage to do.

     "Don't be," she said shortly, and her voice sounded hard 

and flat and jagged like a chunk of sidewalk cracked and forced 

out of place by big buried tree roots.  "I hafta learn...hafta 

learn to talk about it normally."  She rubbed her wrists, pulled 

her sleeves further down to cover more of the needle marks.  

"I'm sorry I shouted."

     "Don't be."  And these words, I wanted to say.  

"It's the only way sometimes."

     She blinked, actually focused on me for the first time 

since coming back out.  "You shout, Gus?"

     I stroked El Brujo some more.  "I've got a way to do it 

that no one can hear."

     El Brujo flicked her ears again.  "No one human, you 

mean, August."

     "Yeah."  I found the spot behind her right ear that made 

her melt.  "But you're a professional."


Next, then, as one might imagine, comes 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment