Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Tour Begins

Our table of contents at this point looks like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25. Feel free to use it to visit the previous installments.

As for this installment, it comes from the phrase "the museum," given to the world at large by Poetigress as part of her Thursday Prompt program.

     The spell was broken by El Brujo, of course, smacking me in 

the nose with her tail.  "A wave, perhaps?  Or even--dare I say 

it?--a vocal salutation of some sort?"

     But Deena spoke up first.  "Hi, Gus!"

     It took me a couple seconds, but I did manage to flail a 

hand at her and even--dare I say it?--squeezed out the word, 

"Hi!"

     She flipped the ball over her shoulder, Heather scrambling 

after with little canine shouts of, "I got it!  I got it!"  

     "You're early," Deena said while Heather leaped onto the 

ball and commenced wrestling with it: she wasn't that much 

larger than the thing, actually.  "You...you wanna come in?  

Dad's still finishing up the dishes."

     I was already shaking--well, it was either me or Serena.  

The squirrel had ducked back into my jacket after her near run-

in with El Brujo, and I know from experience how long it can 

take to recover from that.  "Inside?" I managed to say, 

and the concept just plain wouldn't settle in my brain, like one 

of those annoying little puzzles where you're supposed to swish 

metal marbles around till they fall into their holes.  

     "Yeah."  She tapped her chin, then her eyes lit up.  "You 

can come in through the garage and the kitchen; there's no steps 

that way."  She moved up onto the porch.  "Gimme minute, and 

I'll open the door."  And she vanished into the house.

     Heather was staring after her.  "But...we were playing..."  

Then her gaze wandered over to me, still sitting in my chair 

like a bump on a pickle just outside the front gate, and her 

eyes lit up, too.  "Mr.  Augie!  You've got hands!"  She 

grabbed the ball in her teeth, somehow lifted it, and began 

trotting through the grass.

     "Inside?" I said again, and I grabbed El Brujo, something 

she discourages rather sharply under normal circumstances, and 

pulled her against my chest so I could look right into those 

dark, half-closed eyes.  "She wants me to go inside!"

     "August,--"

     "Inside!  Her house!  Me!"

     "--might I suggest--"

     "When was the last time I was inside a house??  I mean, a 

house that wasn't mostly a hospital??"

     "--you calm yourself--"

     "What if I spaz out??  Start farting or drooling or go into 

convulsions or--??"

     "--before I become upset?"  She seemed to puff up a bit in 

my arms, and I could suddenly feel the tippy-tips of her claws 

resting gently against my throat.

     And it's amazing how something so small can grab a person's 

attention so completely.  "But what'll I do??" I 

squeaked, letting her slide back down my chest into my lap.

     She rolled her eyes and bent around to lick the base of her 

tail.  "Serena and I will be with you since I'm sure she 

would've mentioned by now if she or her father were allergic to 

cats or squirrels, and--"

     "No!" Serena cried.  I suddenly felt like a pinball machine 

as she ricocheted around for a few seconds inside my jacket, 

then she popped out over my lapel and scrambled to perch on top 

of my head.  "I have done many things for you, Mr. Augie, but I 

will not enter this building at this time!"

     I wanted to stare at her, but, well, that wasn't physically 

possible at the moment.  So I just looked at the shocked El 

Brujo when I asked, "But...you went into my building earlier, 

Serena.  How's this building any different?"

     "In every possible way!"  She tapped her little feet 

against my scalp.  "You had guaranteed my safety in your 

building, and El Brujo almost ate me nonetheless!  What, 

therefore, can I expect from this building??"

     "You--!" I started to say, but by then Heather and her ball 

had reached the front gate.

     "Mr. Augie!"  She set the ball down and stood with her 

front paws resting on it, the tiny pink triangle of her tongue 

jutting out from the brown fuzz of her face, her tail looking 

more like a hummingbird's wing behind her.  "The rules are very 

simple!  You throw the ball, and--"

     "Yes, Heather," I told her.  "I'm familiar with the 

concept.  But--"

     Gears grinding drew my attention back to the house, the 

garage door lifting to reveal the mini-van I'd seen parked in 

the driveway a few times.  Deena stepped outside, her smile 

going sideways.  "You know you've got a squirrel on your head?"

     That seemed to call for an answer, but the one I actually 

said--"It's better than some places she's been."--struck 

me as the wrong one the instant it left my lips.

     El Brujo winced, and I decided there was nothing I could do 

to make this evening not turn out like some weird Laurel and 

Hardy sketch.  "OK," I said in animal talk.  "Serena, you'll 

stay out here and play with Heather.  Try not to break each 

other or anything else."

     "Hooray!" they both shouted at the same time, and Serena 

leaped from my head onto the gate that surrounded the front 

yard.  Heather turned and scampered like mad through the lumpy 

tufts of grass, and Serena took off after her, the two quickly 

rounding the far corner of the house.

     I took a breath, looked at Deena, her smile still sideways, 

but at least she wasn't screaming or calling the cops.  "So.  

Inside, you said?"

     She nodded and gestured toward the garage.  "Yeah.  I wanna 

show you the museum."

Which then happens in 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment