Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dog Sitting

This week's Thursday Prompt from Poetigress was the word "invisible." The previous things I've done based on her prompts are, in chronological order, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30. Which means this is #31, I reckon.

     Now, I don't know if anyone's paying that close attention 

to the whole story unfolding in these little dispatches, but if 

you are, maybe you've noticed by now that I'm kind of an idiot a 

lot of the time.  

     But pretty near the top of the list as far as stupid things 

I've done--and I'd even put it high on a list that includes all 

the stupid things I'm likely to do in the future, too--is the 

line I spoke to Heather as we watched Deena and her dad step 

into the Chrysalis House lobby.  "She's the bravest person I've 

ever met," I said about Deena, and because I'm trying to be 

straight up honest in all this stuff, I have to admit I said it 

without a single twinge of irony.

     Because if there's one thing I've hated all these years 

I've been riding this wheelchair, it's the way some people put 

me up on a pedestal for no reason other than that my legs don't 

work anymore.  But since I've ranted about this already, I won't 

take up any more space.  Just suffice it to say that it drives 

me crazy when people assume that I'm so much braver and nobler 

and better than anybody else for no reason other than the chair.

     So what did I keep doing with Deena?  As I tried not to 

stare at the needle tracks up and down her arms?  As I sat out 

on the sidewalk with her little dog and my great big cat in my 

lap?

     It's like an invisible needle and thread that jabs into 

everybody's right ear, squishes through the middle of all our 

brains, then pops out the left ear before diving down into the 

right ear of the person next to us.  It connects us all, this 

idea that the struggle to overcome some difficulty that I don't 

have must make the struggler a better person.

     All I know is: I'm not a better person.  Not better 

than anyone else, I mean.  Or if I am better, it's 

got nothing to do with the chair.  If I'm even halfway tolerable 

to be around, all the credit goes to El Brujo for not allowing 

me to be as much of an idiot as I know I'm capable of being.

     But I said I wasn't going to rant about this again.  It's 

just, I mean, if I can't get this right, who can??  If I 

feel this weird warm pity, this whole "Oh, how wonderful you 

must be to try dragging your life out of the hellhole it's 

fallen into!  How glad I am that I don't have to do 

that!" kind of thing that came over me looking at Deena, how can 

I expect other people not to feel the same way when they look at 

me?  We're all the same, like I said, all tied together by the 

same invisible thread through our brains.

     Maybe that's why I like animals so much better...

     End of rant!  And I promise this time!

     Heather gave a low little groaning howl as soon as we 

couldn't see Deena through the front door anymore, then she spun 

around in my lap, her tongue lolling out from the tangled fur of 

her face, her tail thrumming behind her like a hummingbird's 

wing.  "What are we to do next, Mr. Augie??  What fun thing lies 

waiting for us in this world while Deena is inside that 

world??"

     And to be honest--again--I hadn't a clue  I'd been so 

worried about everything else surrounding Deena's first therapy 

session that I'd forgotten to worry about the whole reason I was 

supposedly there: to dog sit Heather.

     Serena stirred in my jacket, stuck her head and bushy tail 

out at the collar.  "If I might suggest more chasing?"

     "Oh, yes!"  Heather's tail became even blurrier.  "You 

squirrels have the very best ideas!"

     "Not here," I practically yelled--though any human 

walking by wouldn't've heard a thing.  But we don't have very 

many people walking through this neighborhood, anyway.  They 

drive, see, which was why--  "You shouldn't ever run around in 

the street, Heather," I told the little dog firmly.  

     El Brujo puffed a dainty breath.  "Perhaps the park, then, 

August?  I'm led to understand they're designed especially for 

the running around crowd."

     "Especially?"  Heather's eyes widened.  "What a wonderful 

place this park must be!"

     I shrugged.  "I've never been, actually, but I know the 

way."  Seizing my wheelrims, I spun us around and started us 

down the street.  "Let's go see."


And on we go to 32! Which doesn't rhyme, but that's OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment