Friday, October 21, 2011

Prelude

As always, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34 are links to the previous sections of this story, all of them inspired by the word or phrase known as the Thursday Prompt, a weekly feature of Poetigress's place. This section, #35, comes from the phrase "behind closed doors."

     The second thoughts hit me on the way down in the elevator, 

me back in the chair, Serena tucked back inside my coat, El 

Brujo back draped over my lap.

     I mean, what if Deena's dad was there to punch me in 

the nose?  I could easily imagine the scene earlier this evening 

from his point of view: he's sitting in their living room 

feeling good about how Deena's first session with the councilors 

went, maybe thinking how helpful Gus, that odd little guy in the 

wheelchair had been, when the front door slams open and in 

rushes Deena, her little dog clenched to her chest, tears 

streaming from her eyes--

     Not that she'd actually been crying, of course.  At least 

she hadn't been when she'd turned and run, had left me staring 

after her out in front of their house, and she hadn't cried back 

when she'd slammed into her bedroom after I'd started asking 

about her museum, either.

     Which led into my third thoughts, got me to thinking 

that maybe it would be OK.  Deena's father--Mr. Schwarber, I 

could call him now that I knew his name--he'd seemed like he was 

used to her outbursts in the hall outside her bedroom door after 

the slamming and the shouting.  Maybe he just wanted to know 

what I'd said or done that had set her off.

     Or maybe--fourth thoughts, then--maybe Deena had told him.  

Maybe she'd rushed in, had told her father about me summoning a 

crow--and not just any crow, either; Jefe was the 

biggest, scruffiest, most disreputable crow most people were 

ever gonna see their entire lives--how I'd opened a hand and 

he'd dropped a pebble into it as if I'd somehow asked him to, 

and--

     "August," El Brujo muttered, motionless across my thighs 

except for a single flick of her ears, "you're grinding your 

teeth."

     "Well??"  I wanted to flail a hand out, but the residents' 

elevator at Chrysalis House is pretty small.  "What if Deena 

told her dad about what I did??  What if he's here to...to--"

     "To what?"  She looked back at me with half-closed eyes.  

"Confront you with your ability to talk to animals?  Really, 

August."  She faced front again.  "How likely does that sound?"

     A rattle, a shake, and the elevator doors rumbled open, 

Eric standing at the bottom of the stairs.  He gestured toward 

the physical therapists' office halfway down the hall.  "I 

wasn't sure if this was something you needed to do behind closed 

doors or anything," he said, "so I put him in the waiting room 

just in case."  He gave me a look I didn't think I'd ever seen 

from him--and I've seen a lot of his looks, ranging from 

his hard-eyed squint when I insist I can't crank out the one 

more curl he wants from me to his despairing eye roll when I 

settle into the front room most every morning to watch the 

little pony show.  "You didn't get this girl in trouble, did 

you, Gus?"

     I wanted to reassure him, but all I could manage to say 

was: "If anyone's in trouble here, it's me."

     Judging by his rapid eye blinks, I just managed to confuse 

him.  "You need me in there in case it gets ugly?"

     "No!" I blurted out.  Not if Mr. Schwarber was going to 

confront me and accuse me of--

     But then it occurred to me what Eric was saying: that he 

had my back, as it were.  That he was willing to help me if I 

needed it...

     My throat tightened a little, and I added, "Thanks.  

It...it ought to be fine."

     He nodded, stepped down the hall, and opened the door to 

the office.  I swallowed, rolled down, and spun myself inside.


It all continues, then, in 36!

No comments:

Post a Comment