Friday, October 28, 2011

Sweet and Sour

As this is the 36th of Poetigress's Thursday Prompts I've done--and the first where I've actually used the prompt itself as the title--1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 are the links to the previous sections of the story. Feel free to avail yourself of them.

     Sometimes, I think my whole life has just been a process 

of getting me to slow down: running around like crazy when I 

was a kid, that first hitch in my step during first grade, my 

first wheelchair the middle of second grade.  But now, rolling 

into the waiting room of the physical therapists' office, it 

was like I'd plugged my brain into a wall socket.

     It only took two seconds to grab the door handle, pull it 

open, and slide from the hallway into the office, but in those 

two seconds, well, you know how they talk about your life 

flashing before your eyes when you're about to die?  

     And OK, sure, it wasn't like that--I mean, yes, 

part of me expected Deena's father to rear back and punch me 

in the nose, but it wasn't a very big or serious part.  It was 

more that I'd been slow for so long, had lived for ten years 

in the same rooms at Chrysalis House, had talked to the same 

people, had eaten the same food, had worn two little tire 

tracks around and around this same eight or ten block 

neighborhood till I might as well be a ghost or a wind-up toy.  

Slow and steady: that was me.

     But meeting Deena?  A bolt of lightning.  And maybe it 

was all in my imagination, but just the barest hint of the 

thought that she wouldn't be like every other woman I'd 

yearned unrequitedly over the past five or six years, that she 

might actually turn out to be someone I could at least talk to 

regularly, someone who knew what it was like to peer at life 

from the other side of the normality fence, someone who'd been 

blasted through the fastest of fast lanes till she was trying 

with all her might to slow down--

     Wow.  Lost control of that sentence!  

     But see?  Thinking about her just started everything 

swirling and speeding around in my skull!

     Then add to that the way I was heading into the exact 

same room where I'd last seen my own father a decade ago, not 

a sound anywhere in the whole office but the scratch of the 

ballpoint pen as he'd committed me to Chrysalis House--

     Though 'committed' seems like the wrong word.  

'Consigning me to the care of,' maybe?  'Foisting me off 

onto'?

     El Brujo spoke up from my lap as if she'd been reading my 

mind: "Deena's father isn't your father, August: if anything's 

been made abundantly clear by now, it's that."

     I just nodded, hoped it was true, and by then I was 

passing through the doorway, gliding into the room, a swish 

and a click telling me the door had closed after me.  Mr. 

Schwarber looked over, his hands clasped behind him, 

straightened up from where he was standing peering at a 

diploma or something framed and mounted on the wall.

     That he didn't immediately belt me I took as a positive 

sign.  "Gus," he said.

     It took a couple nods to get my throat loose enough to 

form human words, but of all the things spinning around in my 

brain, all I could get out was, "Mr. Schwarber."

     He looked at me like he expected me to go on, but when 

several long, long seconds ticked by and I didn't, he blinked, 

brushed absently at his sleeves, and settled into one of the 

blue cushioned chairs that lined the walls of the waiting 

room.  "You seem like a good guy, Gus."

     "I try to be," I blurted, the blockage suddenly melting 

like a spring thaw.  "And I didn't mean to surprise Deena the 

way I did!  It wasn't--!  I just--!"  Not that I could grab 

enough of whatever it was gushing past to form a 

comprehensible sentence.  "I didn't--!"

     "It's OK."  He gave a tight smile.  "Deena..."  His voice 

trailed off, his face suddenly looking like mine does on the 

morning after those nights when I can't quite manage to get to 

sleep.  "She's been under a lot of stress lately."

     I swallowed.  "And I'm so sorry I added to it.  If I'd 

been thinking at all, I never would've had Jefe--"

     "Either stop now, August," El Brujo said, her hind claws 

digging slightly into my waist, "or say 'perform his trick.'"

     "--perform his trick," I said.

     Mr. Schwarber blinked at me.  "Trick?" he asked.

     And whether it was the way my mind was still spinning 

like a troop of dancing mice or just that I'd been hanging 

around El Brujo long enough to know what she means when she 

says something cryptic like that, but the whole story snapped 

into place like we'd planned it beforehand.  "I train them!"  

I tried not to shout it, but I'm not sure I succeeded.  "The 

animals!  To do tricks!  With my free time!  'Cause it's my 

hobby!"

     "Well, yes."  His tight smile loosened a bit.  "I mean, 

after the things you had that squirrel doing, I kind of 

figured that."

     Which took the wind out of my sails, I hafta say.  All my 

fretting, and it turned out my big break-through idea was 

something he'd already been assuming...

     Wrinkles furrowed his brow.  "But you think it was some 

trick you did that upset Deena?"

     I felt my own brow get wrinkled.  "I had Jefe pick up a 

pebble so she could put it in her museum to mark her first 

therapy session.  You...you mean it wasn't--?"  Every black 

cloud began dissolving around me, every breath I took suddenly 

sweet and warm.  "I didn't scare her, then??  That 

wasn't the reason she--??"

     "Ah."  His mouth went sideways.  "I see now.  It wasn't 

the trick itself, no.  It was..."  He sighed.  "Something 

someone said in group tonight about making a clean break with 

his past, about throwing out all the bits and pieces of his 

old life so he really felt ready to start over again fresh.  

Deena said that struck a chord with her, and she--"  He 

shrugged.  "She was talking seriously about closing the museum 

down, throwing all that stuff out."


Click on over to 37 if you wanna see where it all goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment