Friday, October 7, 2011

Sundown

This week's Thursday Prompt from Poetigress is the word "stones." And while there's really only one stone featured here, well, I won't tell if you won't.

I will, however, tell you that this is part 33 of a continuing saga the previous bits of which can be found in the following numeric-type order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, and 32.

     So we spent an hour there in the Ramsays' front yard, and 

for once in my life, I didn't care if the neighbors called the 

police.  And by "didn't care," what I really mean is that 

I had my excuse all ready in case anyone came up and asked me 

what I was doing.

     "Just playing with the dogs," I would've said.

     The best thing, though, was that Traveler didn't seem to 

care.  The whole guard dog thing's very big for him, after all, 

the idea that he's there to protect the Ramsays' house and 

property and all.  That's why when they're home and I come 

rolling by, he makes it a point to bark at me like his only goal 

in life is to get over that fence and messily kill me for the 

good of all humanity.  He needs to show the world that he's 

serious about his job.

     He always feels bad about it afterwards, of course, and 

apologizes to me the next time he has the chance, but that 

evening, whether it was the whole pact we'd made earlier or just 

Heather's overwhelming puppiness rubbing off on us, we all plain 

stopped worrying about whatever it was we normally worried 

about.

     Not that El Brujo worried about anything, at least as far 

as I could tell: she just sat in my lap with her paws tucked 

under, a little feline smirk of satisfaction flicking about her 

whiskers.  And not that Serena seemed worried, either: when I 

would throw the tennis ball Traveler had brought out, she'd go 

charging off after it same as the two dogs would.  Watching the 

squirrel leap back and forth between that big Doberman and that 

little whatever sort of a dog Heather is--I don't think "mop" is 

recognized as a breed by the American Kennel Club--I couldn't 

for the life of me figure out how she avoided getting stomped or 

chomped.

     Jefe and Honoria, too, both came winging down to perch on 

the fence and croak out raucous commentary, even busting out 

into a hopping, squawking rendition of "Buffalo Gals, Won't You 

Come Out Tonight?" when El Brujo pointed out that, as 

cheerleaders, they really ought to have a half-time number.

     It was, in short, the best time I'd had in years, an early 

summer evening like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting 

if Rockwell had lived in the mix of domestication and wildness 

that is early 21st century suburbia or something.  Just throwing 

a ball and having some dogs scramble after it and bring it back, 

sure, but so much more than that.  How long had it been, after 

all, since I'd last had friends?

     Still, an hour is just an hour, and the sun was well on its 

way to setting when El Brujo rose to her paws just as Traveler 

came trotting up, the ball held daintily in his teeth, Heather 

and Serena weaving and tumbling between his front paws, both of 

them yipping in a way that sounded like laughter when I listened 

to it the right way.  "Well!" El Brujo announced, stretching 

herself along the entire length of my thigh, her claws springing 

out to tap against my knees.  "I for one am exhausted!"

     That got a "Ha!" out of Honoria and a "I think you mean 

'exhausting,' Poosy!" from Jefe.

     "Nonetheless," El Brujo went on, settling down with her 

tail wrapped around her.  "It's about time for Deena's session 

to let out."  She looked back over her shoulder at me.  "Or am I 

mistaken?"

     I shrugged, scootched sideways, dragged my pocket watch 

out, and blinked at it.  "I couldn't say one way or the other," 

I told her.

     She rolled her eyes.  "I sometimes quite despair, August."

     Another shrug, and I stuffed the watch back.  "But yeah, I 

guess we oughtta be rolling along."

     Traveler dropped the ball with a nod.  "It has been a 

lovely evening."  He stepped back and bowed to Heather and 

Serena, both panting heavily by my chair's footrests.  "Miss 

Heather, Miss Serena: I thank you for allowing me to 

participate."

     Serena bowed back while Heather shook herself, gave a 

massive yawn, bowed, and said, "We couldn't have played at all 

without your ball, Mr. Traveler, so thank you for that."  She 

gave another yawn, then looked away, suddenly bashful.  "Could 

you possibly, sir, lift me up onto Mr. Augie's knees?  I don't 

believe I can jump that high at the moment..."

     Smiling, Traveler bent down, straightened up with Heather 

hanging limp as Spanish moss from his jaws, and set her like a 

sack of jelly into my lap.  "Sleep well tonight, child," he 

whispered, touching his nose between her ears.

     "Thank you," she said, oozing into a puddle of fur beside 

El Brujo.  "I think...I already...am..."  Her eyes drew closed, 

and tiny snores started whistling from her nose.

     He stepped back.  "Such a delight."  He sighed.  "And a 

good night to you as well, El Brujo, August."  A bow to the 

crows.  "And, of course, the entertainment committee."

     A scrabbling sound, and Serena came huffing and puffing 

over the curve of my knee, collapsed against Heather.  

     "OK," I said.  "I think that's everyone we came in with.  

Night, Trav.  We oughtta do this again sometime."  

     With a quiet chuckle, he sat beside the tennis ball.  "You 

know where to find me," he said.

     I laughed, spun, hit the gate, and rolled us back up the 

road toward Chrysalis House.  "Ahhhh," Serena sighed, curling 

into a tighter ball.  "Such a gentlepooch, that Mr. Traveler..."

     El Brujo rolled her eyes some more, and in companionably 

silence, we started up the hill, crossed the street, rounded he 

corner, and came up to the front steps of the public side of the 

house just as Deena and her father were stepping out of the 

lobby.  They both looked a little puffy around the eyes, but 

they were smiling, too, so I figured it must've been the 

good sort of crying.

     Deena caught sight of us first and waved.  I gave an extra 

hard push to the rims so I could spare a hand to wave back, and 

by the time we reached the two of them, I had shifted my mental 

gears enough to form intelligible, English-language words.  

"Ev'rything go OK?"

     "Better than OK," Deena said, beaming, and beside her, her 

father nodded.  "And you?"  She bent down and stroked Heather 

gently, Serena not even stirring beside her, my brain nearly 

short-circuiting at Deena's closeness.  "They wear each other 

out?"

     "They had help," I managed to say.  "So the program here 

looks good?"

     "Oh, yes!"  And she went on to describe it as the three of 

us headed back down the hill toward their place, her father 

chiming in now and again with a detail that was evidently 

important to them both.  But to tell the truth, I was kind of 

losing track of the conversation, their words sliding in and out 

of focus--if that's something words can do...

     That it had gone well, though, I could tell, and while they 

talked, I called out silently in animal speech: "Jefe?  You 

still around?"

     The ficus tree we were all just passing beneath had a small 

seizure.  "Whaddaya need, 'Mano?" I heard the crow's voice ask.

     "You know the creek that runs through the meadow where all 

the cul-de-sacs are?"

     "I know it better'n you do."

     "Can you wing over there please and pick me up a pebble?"

     El Brujo looked back at me, her ears folding.  "August?"

     I ran a hand down her back.  "Quick as you can, Jefe."

     "No prob," he said, and the tree shook again in the 

gathering twilight above us.

     Neither Deena nor her dad seemed to notice, and they went 

on talking happily for the five or however many minutes it took 

for us to arrive at their place again.  Her dad gave Deena a 

kiss on the top of the head, said good night and thanks to me, 

then went in the front gate and into the house, the front room 

windows lighting up.

     Things got quiet, but then Deena reached down to take the 

sleeping Heather from my lap.  "Thanks for watching her, Gus.  I 

hope she wasn't too yappy."

     I forced my spinning mind to slow.  "Just yappy enough," I 

told her.  "And thank you."

     "Me?"  She straightened up and blinked, Heather snuggling 

against her.  "What did I do?"

     Wings flapped above us, Jefe's voice calling, "Got it!"

     I took a breath.  "Fly down onto my shoulder and drop it 

into my hand, OK?"

     El Brujo's whiskers jittered.  "August, I--"

     But I was already back into human voice.  "You let me be a 

part of all this," I told Deena, and I held out my left hand, 

palm up.

     She blinked from my face to my hand and back again, but 

when Jefe slid down out of the evening darkness onto my left 

shoulder, her eyes went wide.  "I just," I said, Jefe dropping 

the pebble into my palm.  "I was hoping maybe you could put this 

in the museum, y'know?  To mark your first day?"

     The silence got even thicker, a little twitch pulling at 

Deena's right eye.  Then she spun, ran through the gate and into 

the house, slamming the door behind her.

     Leaving me sitting there with a pebble in my hand.

I should, I suppose, supply the link to 34, the next chapter, here at the end of this chapter. It's just polite, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment