Friday, October 14, 2011

Port in a Storm

And the saga just keeps on a-rolling!

This is the 34th installment in the story I'm writing in bits inspired by the Thursday Prompt that Poetigress offers the world every week. The previous bits are as follows--1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33--and there'll likely be more of 'em till I get the whole story told.

This week's Prompt was "the flag."

     Face first into my pillow: "Say it."

     A shuffling from the end of the bed.  "What would you have 

me say, August?"

     "You know what you want to say!"  I hadn't cried 

since spending that long, long night fifteen years ago pinned in 

the wreckage of--

     But I'm not gonna talk about that, not gonna think about 

it, didn't want to then, don't want to now.  All I'm gonna say 

is that even with everything that had just happened, I couldn't 

manage a single tear.

     Of course, El Brujo didn't say anything, hadn't said 

anything during the entire ride home, me rolling us mechanically 

away from Deena's house, away from the pebble I'd dropped on the 

sidewalk, the pebble Deena had refused--and not just refused but 

practically screamed at the sight of, run from it like I was 

offering her a handful of spiders or leeches.  

     Jefe had stayed quiet, too, had stayed perched on my 

shoulder till about halfway back to Chrysalis House when he'd 

made a fast high-pitched clicking sound and flapped off into the 

night.  Even Serena had quivered in silence the whole way, had 

scrambled out of my jacket when we'd finally reached my room, 

had watched with anxious eyes from the windowsill while I slewed 

the chair up next to the bed and hurled myself onto the covers.

     Not the happiest twenty minutes for anyone, in other words.

     I heard a feline clearing of throat.  "Enlighten me, 

August.  Tell me what it is that I want to say."

     "That it's my own damn fault!" I screamed, and I was still 

halfway in human language mode, I guess, 'cause a partial moan 

escaped my lips as I went on in animal talk: "That if I hadn't 

been showing off, hadn't been acting like I was some stupid 

fantasy wizard, summoning my familiar spirit animal to do my 

bidding, I wouldn't've scared her off, wouldn't've lost her 

forever, wouldn't've--"

     "You're giving up, then?"  El Brujo's voice can be as sharp 

as her claws when she wants it to be.  "Striking your flag, 

crawling away, abandoning the only joy you've known the past 

twelve months other than that ridiculous pony cartoon?"

     That got me up onto my elbows so I could glare at her, 

tucked like a black furry meatloaf on top of the green sleeping 

bag I use for a bedspread.  "What else am I s'pposed to 

do??  Go back and tell her she just imagined the whole thing??  

That I can't talk to animals??  That I'm not even 

more of a freak than I seem to be??"

     She gave one slow blink.  "You don't know that's why she 

ran, not for certain."

     I stared at her.  "Excuse me??"

     "True," Serena said from the windowsill.  "I have noticed 

that humans flee situations for reasons other than fear and that 

they will then often return afterwards to investigate that which 

made them flee."

     Levering myself even higher, I turned my glare onto 

her.  "And that would be better??  Turn me into a God 

damn science project??"

     El Brujo sighed behind me.  "You're overreacting, August.  

Deena was no doubt startled more by Jefe's unkempt appearance 

than by anything you might have--"

     "Forget it."  My chest felt like I'd swallowed a 

tumbleweed.  "Let's everyone just stop condescending to the 

cripple and agree that I screwed this up beyond all repair, OK?  

Can we please do that?"

     Silence fell over the room again, and I lay there feeling 

sorry for Deena a little but mostly feeling sorry for myself.  I 

mean, sure, I'd probably scared the socks off her when Jefe had 

settled onto my shoulder and dropped that pebble into my hand--

cats and dogs and squirrels doing tricks is cute, but with 

crows, you pretty much cross the line into spooky.  But all I 

could focus on right then was how awful I was feeling, how sure 

I was that she'd never want to see me again.

     Not me at my most attractive, sure, but, well, I'm trying 

to be honest here, right?  Even though that means all I seem to 

write about is the dumb stuff I kept doing... 

     Anyway, my stomach growled right about then, and I was just 

starting to weigh whether I wanted to roll down to the kitchen 

and try to dig up whatever I'd missed for supper or if I just 

wanted to lay up here and keep on suffering for my stupidity 

when someone knocked at the door.

     A flurry on the windowsill, a flash of squirrel tail as 

Serena vanished into the darkness outside, and Eric's voice 

called, "Gus?  Jerry said he saw you come in earlier.  Are you 

there?  'Cause you've got a visitor down in the front room."

     "Deena??"  I bent sideways so I could stare at the door.  

Had she come back?  Did she forgive me?  Was she--?

     "Gus?  You in there?"

     I had to concentrate, slow down my thoughts, reach for the 

atrophying parts of my brain and squeeze out a few words he'd be 

able to understand.  "I'm here, Eric," I managed.

     "There's a Dave Schwarber downstairs asking for you."

     And as quickly as the hope had pumped up inside me, it 

deflated.  Closing my eyes, I flopped back onto my pillow.  "I 

don't know that name."

     "He said to tell you he was Deena's father."  A pause.  

"What've you been up to, Gus?"

     And to be honest, the only thing that went through my head 

right then was: well, at least I know her last name now.

     "Well!" El Brujo said with something close to a purr.  "Do 

we haul the flag back up, captain, and make for harbor?  Or do 

we remain mired here in the doldrums with no possible hope of 

rescue?"

     "Rescue?"  I blinked at her.  "You mean--  You don't think 

he's here to punch me in the nose?"

     Her smugness could've powered the entire city for a month.  

"Only one way to find out."

     "Gus?" Eric was asking from outside.  "Should I tell this 

guy to get lost?"

     "No!"  Heaving myself around, I grabbed the arms of my 

chair.  "I'll be right down!"


On! On! On into 35, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment