Friday, November 4, 2011

Take Two

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36 are the previous installments in our 45 part series inspired by the Thursday Prompt from Poetigress. This week's phrase was "trying again."


     The little warm spot against my chest exploded.  "Yes, yes, 

yes!" Serena chittered, squirming and writhing up my shirt till 

she popped out the collar of my jacket.  "Deena doesn't hate 

you!"  She scrambled from shoulder to shoulder across the back 

of my neck, her tail fluffing out to whap me first on one ear 

then the next.

     Mr. Schwarber was staring at this, let me tell you, and I 

did some scrambling of my own for something--anything!--that 

might sound even slightly reasonable.  "I...I'm still training 

her," was all I came up with.  Bringing a hand to my shoulder, I 

then asked in animal talk, "Serena?  Can you please be very, 

very polite for the next bunch of minutes and sit quietly on my 

hand?  Can you do that?"

     She grabbed several pawfuls of hair and scurried to stand 

on top of my head.  "I can do anything!" she announced.  

"Because I will be making you live happily ever after!"

     "Serena?" I said again.  "My hand?  Please?"  

     And even with everything I'd been through the last 24 

hours, keeping my voice steady when I switched over to human 

speech was about as hard a thing as I'd done, especially since 

the only thing I could think to say hit too damn close to things 

I'd been doing my best not to think about ever since El Brujo 

had first sauntered into my room at Chrysalis House all those 

years ago and asked me in words I could understand if I was 

comfortable: "Some animals are easier to train than others."

     He nodded.  "I don't think I've ever even heard of a 

trained squirrel."

     I shrugged.  "You go with what's available.  And it's not 

like I've got anything else to keep me busy.  Serena?"  I'd 

meant to say her name in animal talk, but I'd never really 

mastered moving quickly from one form of communication to the 

other.  With a swallow and some concentration, though, I got my 

brain to toggle over.  "Serena?"

     "I am dancing as the butterflies dance!" she was shouting, 

tiny paws scampering around in my hair.

     Heart pounding, I tried to think of something I could say 

to her, something that would let me get back to the question 

burning through me, but I couldn't focus, couldn't dredge up a 

calmness I didn't remotely feel.  All I could think was to start 

shouting, and I knew that would be the worst thing in the 

world, would only--!

     "Serena?"  El Brujo's voice from my lap had either a slight 

purr in it or a slight growl: I couldn't tell which.  "Are you 

forgetting how nervous and angry humans like Mr. Schwarber get 

when they see squirrels in places they don't think squirrels 

ought to be?  Like in their gardens?  Or their bird feeders?  Or 

dancing on another human's head?"

     The scampering steps froze.  "Of course!" she cried, and I 

felt the weight of her jump from my head to my shoulder.  

"Humans are always so skittish!"  She moved to my hand, and with 

a whoosh of breath, I lowered her into my legs.

     A little smile pulled at Mr. Schwarber's lips.  "That'd 

make a great TV show, y'know."  He raised a hand, swept it 

through the air.  "The Squirrel Whisperer."

     I laughed, but I was shaking so hard, it came out sounding 

more like I was trying to clear my throat.  Thoughts flew 

furiously through my head; I swore I could feel my hair standing 

up from the static electricity, and it took another few seconds 

of concentration to line up some semi-coherent words: "Then...if 

you didn't come to punch me in the nose for scaring Deena, 

why...why did you...why are you...?"

     His smile got bigger.  "After I coaxed her out of her room 

and got the story from her, she was so mortified that she'd run 

away and left you sitting out on the sidewalk, so tried to 

convince me we should change our names, sell our new house, move 

to another town, and try to start over again."

     My pounding heart almost skipped a beat, fear warring with 

shame inside me: fear that she really would vanish from my life 

forever and shame that I'd caused her so much grief.  "She...she 

said that?"

     He cocked his head.  "You haven't known her long, Gus, but 

I'm sure you've already noticed that she gets a little carried 

away sometimes."

     I had no idea how to respond to that, so I didn't.  Which 

was OK since he was going on: "I convinced her it'd be easier on 

our bank account if she just apologized to you, and--"

     "What??"  I jerked bolt upright in my wheelchair.  "No!  

I should apologize to her for--!"

     "Gus?"  He held up a hand, palm toward me.  "You didn't do 

anything wrong."

     "But I did!  You weren't there!  You didn't see me--!"

     "What?"  He folded his arms.  "You make a move on her or 

something?"

     "No!"  And never in my life before or since have I come 

closer to blurting out the truth about this disease that was 

pretzeling my nervous system and also letting me speak to and 

understand animals.  I didn't, though, because I realized right 

then what I was really so upset about.  "I did this stupid 

little trick to try and impress her, and it just upset her 

instead!"  I couldn't stop my hands from flailing.  "I knew it 

was stupid when I did it, and I still went ahead and--!"

     "Gus?"  Mr. Schwarber dropped into a crouch in front of me, 

caught my hands, looked straight across into my eyes, the 

contact slapping me like a bucket of cold water.  "I said it 

before, and I'll say it again: you're a good guy.  Deena thinks 

so, too.  And that's why I'm here."

     I knew my mouth was hanging open, but I couldn't quite 

remember how to close it.  "So," he said, letting my hands go 

and giving a purring El Brujo a scritch between her ears.  

"Deena's hoping you'll be willing to give her another chance, 

would be willing to let her apologize and try the whole 'saying 

good night' thing again.  If it's not too late at night, I 

mean."

     The spinning of my thoughts swirled into Serena's butterfly 

dance, the warmth of a perfect summer day bursting into being in 

my chest.  "OK," I managed to get out.


What happens next? Find out in 38!

No comments:

Post a Comment