Friday, November 25, 2011

Reality

I'm ready to call this whole thing: it'll run 75 parts of which this is part 40. The previous parts are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, and 39, and it's all being inspired week by week by the Thursday Prompt over at Poetigress's place. The word this week was "fall."

     Following Mr. Schwarber through the garage, I refused to 

let myself think about what might happen when I got inside.  "Be 

cautious," El Brujo had said, settled big as a throw pillow on 

my lap, and I knew she was right.  Worrying about what might 

happen was worse than useless because, well, it was less than 

the shadow of a passing breeze until it actually happened.  

     If, y'know, breezes had shadows...

     But, see, the thing was: Serena was right, too.  Still 

clinging to the front of my jacket, her tail jittering in rhythm 

with her words, she was muttering, "All will be well!  All will 

be well!" over and over again.  Blind baseless hope is one 

thing, but evidence-based optimism, that was something else.

     Mr. Schwarber pushed the door from the garage into the 

kitchen open.  "Honey?" he called.  "I'm home!"

     An exasperated snort from somewhere ahead.  "Daddy!  That 

wasn't even funny twenty years ago!  Why do you always--??"

     Rolling into the kitchen behind him, I saw Deena there in 

the doorway, her eyes going wide, her arms tightening around the 

big pillow she was clutching.  "Oh, God," she whispered.  "Gus, 

I--"  Her voice caught, and she more slid than stepped out of 

sight into the next room.

     The anguish on her thin, pale face made me shake, but El 

Brujo shifted against my legs, murmured, "Be steadfast, August, 

and listen more with your heart's ears than your head's."

     I blinked at her, but the movement of Serena's tail 

fluffing drew my attention to her, the squirrel swinging around 

to stare at El Brujo.  "That is excellent advice, El Brujo!"

     El Brujo's whiskers spread in a feline smile.  "Well, Miss 

Serena, I am a professional, after all."

     Mr. Schwarber was motioning for me to move forward, so I 

grabbed the wheel rims and pushed us through the kitchen into 

the hallway.  Where I had to stop, of course, the step from the 

hallway down into the front room a good six inches, I figured, 

and not the sort of thing I felt confident I could get myself 

down in anything like a dignified manner.

     It was a nice front room, though: bookcases, a chair, a 

table with a lamp, a coffee table, a TV, a sofa straight ahead 

under the big window, the curtains drawn.  Deena sat kind of 

huddle up on this sofa, her feet tucked up so her legs and the 

pillow is her arms formed a barrier between her and me.  She had 

her mouth pressed into the pillow, too, though her eyes peered 

through her bangs directly at me.

     So I said, "Deena, I'm so, so sorry."  Because I knew she 

was going to say it even though she had nothing to be sorry 

about.

     She didn't say anything, though, and as much as seeing her 

made my throat want to squeeze shut like a vise, I used the 

breathing techniques El Brujo had taught me, made everything 

relax as much as I could, and let more words trickle out: "I 

wanted to impress you...with my crow trick and didn't think... 

just didn't think.  Taking down your museum, too, I...I'm sorry 

I made you think about that."

     It was maybe the most words I'd managed to say with my 

human voice in a decade, and for all that I was sounding like a 

bullfrog by the end, I would've gone on trying to make my 

apology if she hasn't pulled her mouth away from the pillow and 

said, "It's just--"

     She stopped, her gaze flickering away from mine, focusing 

on the couple or five magazines stacked on the end of the coffee 

table.  "Every time I think I've hit rock-bottom, that I've 

fallen as far as I can, I...I do something or say something or 

stumble over something that sends me tumbling even further."  

     Her fingers dug into the surface of the pillow, and I 

didn't have to see the needle tracks on her arms to imagine the 

feeling of them catching on the inside of her long-sleeved 

shirt.  "After all the lies my life has been the last few years, 

admitting my thing, coming here to get clean, knowing I had to 

or I'd die, and the first thing they say is I gotta get rid of 

my museum!  And then when I admit that it's an anchor tying me 

to the past, you look at me all sweet and innocent and offer me 

that pebble.  And that crow?"  

     The last word came out with a sob, and she clenched her 

eyes.  "I knew it was a trick, knew it had to be a trick, 

knew you must've, like, trained the crow to do that, but... 

but...but--"  Her eyes popped open, deep and haunted and gouging 

my heart from my chest.  "When I was using, it was...it was a 

fantasy world, see?  I wanted magic and fairies and elves and 

talking cats and birds 'cause real life was so...so--"

     I couldn't tell if I was breathing anymore, if my heart was 

still beating even.  Then Deena sucked in a ragged gasp of air, 

and I felt my own lungs do the same.  "But I need reality."  She 

lowered the pillow, gulped some more air.  "'Cause trying to 

ignore it came real damn close to killing me."

     The clock ticking in the kitchen was the only sound for a 

long couple of seconds.  "So I'm sorry I panicked," she said, 

and a ghost of a smile tugged her lips.  "And I hope I didn't 

upset you or your crow too badly."

     My jaw worked, my thoughts swirling with thorns and nettles 

about how right she was, about how cats and squirrels and dogs 

and crows, they don't talk in real life, about how anyone 

who thought they talked to animals must be either stupid or 

crazy.

     But "We'll both get over it," is all I said out loud, El 

Brujo and Serena both cold and unmoving as stones against me.


More follows with 41

No comments:

Post a Comment