Monday, December 5, 2011

And Out the Other Side

So, again, the previous bits of all this are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40. Which means this is the 41st in this series inspired by the Thursday Prompts over at Poetigress's place. This week's phrase was "every day."

     A sudden scrabbling of claws on wood somewhere behind me, 

and Heather's little yipping voice: "Mr. Augie's inside!  And 

the El Brujo kitty!  And my favorite squirrel friend Serena!  

Please, Deena's dad!  Let me in!  I'm all done pooping and 

peeing now!"

     Deena perked up.  "Dad, can you--?"

     "Here she comes," Mr. Schwarber said from the kitchen, 

and the creak of a door led immediately to a frantic clickety-

clickety-click across the linoleum.

     "Mr. Augie!  El Brujo!  Serena!"  Even in animal speech, 

Heather managed to make our names one continuous blur.  She 

streaked brownish-gold past my chair and sprang into Deena's 

arms.  "I'm so, so sorry that I had to go outside and away 

from you when you're feeling so sad!" the little dog cried out 

with each lick at Deena's face.  "I tried to hold my poop 

inside me, but it can get insistent!"

     Serena gave a grave little twitch of her ears, her first 

movement in what felt like hours.  "That is very true."

     El Brujo sighed.  "I'm learning so much today."

     Heather turned her tongue-lolling smile toward me.  "But 

Mr. Augie is here!  And now all will be happy and dancing and 

running after tennis balls!"

     "Heather?"  El Brujo sounded far away somehow, like I was 

hearing her from the next room even though I could see her 

quite clearly on my lap.  "We're all glad to be here together, 

but right now, we need a few moments of silence.  Mr. Augie is 

having a slight crisis, you see."

     "Insane," I said, nodding in agreement.  "Absolutely 

insane."

     "Gus?" Deena asked, and I realized I'd said the words 

with my human tongue rather than in animal speech.

     But of course I'd said them with my human tongue!  

"I can't talk to animals!"  It hit me as hard as the sidewalk 

always did whenever I managed to tip myself over while rolling 

around the neighborhood.  "No one can talk to animals!"

     Deena was staring at me, the sadness in her face edging a 

bit closer to fear.  "I...I never said--"

     "'Cause you're right!"  I wanted to leap from my chair, 

dump the cat onto the floor, shake the squirrel away from the 

front of my jacket.  But all I could do was flail my arms 

around.  "That's a fantasy!  A fantasy!"

     And every day, I realized, my arms freezing, my hands 

shaking in the air before my face like the leaves on the trees 

along the street in a cold November Santa Ana wind, every day, 

I chose that fantasy, chose to pretend that I could talk to 

animals.  Every day, I woke up still paralyzed, still alone, 

still abandoned, still ugly and brutish and short, and looking 

at the world, I decided that I didn't want to live there, 

didn't want anything to do with it.

     I was an addict same as Deena had been.  She'd wanted a 

different world, a world with magic in it, and she'd finally 

found it in whatever drug cocktail she'd been pumping into her 

veins.  I wanted a different world, a world with magic in it, 

and I finally found it by succumbing to the tightening snap 

and crackle of my diseased nervous system.

     Motion in front of me, and I blinked at Deena crouching, 

peering up at me, her father behind her, both of them looking 

scared in ways they never should.  "Gus?  Is...is there 

someone we should call?  Someone at Chrysalis House?"

     "No," I said, and relief washed over her so strongly, I 

swear I could smell it, her hand coming to rest on my knee.

     Not that I could feel it, of course, but seeing it there 

made the jackhammer in my chest ratchet up another couple 

notches.  As did the sight of--

     El Brujo, her deep caramel eyes half-lidded, her gaze 

fixed on mine warm and solid and--

     And real.  More real than anything I'd ever known in my 

entire life.

     And that was when I knew.

     "Reality," I told Deena, making my hand move to touch 

hers.  "It's a hard thing."

     She smiled, fresh tears shimmering in her eyes.  "I'm 

learning that," she said.

     "But the best part?"  I didn't know how to say this.  

"You can't choose it, but it can choose you."

     Her smile faded but didn't go away.  I took a breath.  

"The life you had before, the bad one, the one you don't want: 

that was you trying to choose.  But reality?  No, you're 

right; you're one hundred percent right: that wasn't 

reality at all."

     My throat wanted to close up, wanted to squeeze tight at 

the confusion in her face.  I blinked, relaxed, let the words 

trickle out like sand through an hourglass.  "This, right 

here, right now, this house, your dad, your dog, the hard life 

of taking what's really there and working with it."  I tapped 

the back of her hand.  "This is reality.  And 

sometimes?"  I shifted to look at El Brujo, her whiskers 

curling into a smile.  "Sometimes when you least expect it, 

reality chooses to be magical."

     Deena coughed a laugh, and I saw she was smiling again.  

"I'm learning that, too."

     "Ah, August."  That oh-so-familiar purring contralto 

tickled at places that weren't my ears.  "Well done."

     "Is--?"  Serena seemed like she was trying to glance at 

everyone in the room at the same time.  "Is he better?"

     El Brujo gave a feline shrug.  "Better is a relative 

term."

     "I'm OK," I said in animal talk, then switching to human 

speech: "I'm sorry I scared you," I told Deena and her father.

     Mr. Schwarber patted his chest.  "As if my life hasn't 

been exciting enough recently."

     Standing, Deena stroked the back of my hand, and my 

breath caught.  "Exciting," I said.  "Yes.  Every day."


The scene continues in 42, the next section!

No comments:

Post a Comment