Friday, December 9, 2011

Sidestepping the Avalanche

Douglas Adams aside, this is part 42 of this whole big thing I'm doing inspired by the Thursday Prompt from Poetigress. That means there have been 41 previous installments, and they run as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, and 41.

This week's prompt? "A battlefield."

     Between the two of them, Deena and Mr. Schwarber managed to 

lift my chair down the step into the living room.  "I'll get 

some plywood or something and put a ramp in," Mr. Schwarber 

said, straightening with a grunt.

     They both took seats, then, Deena on the couch again with 

Heather, the little dog's tail a happy blur, and her father in a 

brownish-yellowish recliner that I'm guessing didn't recline 

anymore, the way it had a couple chunks of two-by-four shoved in 

along the back edge.  I rolled across the carpet, its shag thick 

enough to pull at my wheels like damp grass, and fetched up on 

the other side of the coffee table from Deena, her smile making 

me feel--

     Well, making me feel, I guess, something I hadn't 

done among humans in a long, long time.  With animals, see, it's 

always a flood of emotion, like Heather with her boundless 

enthusiasm or El Brujo's layer of feline disdain over the depths 

of her love and devotion.  Humans, though--and I'll be the first 

to admit my experiences in this area aren't exactly average--

humans make everything much more a battlefield.

     Not that an animal's life is some sort of idyll: "It's 

nothing but a constant, horrible parade of stalking and being 

stalked, eating and being eaten, mating and being mated," is how 

El Brujo puts it when I start complaining about my fellow 

homo sapiens.  "And may I remind you, August, that the 

only animal hospitals you'll find in this world are built by 

human beings."

     Which are completely valid points, sure, and ones I really 

ought to appreciate considering my position.  And yet...

     The daily battlefield of animal life just seems so much 

more honest than the snide and muddy trenches I've slogged 

through pretty much my entire twenty years.  Maybe it's just 

that humans have evolved to the point where you can do OK in the 

fight as long as you can talk.  But I probably said five words 

in the five years before El Brujo came along, so not only 

couldn't I survive in the animal world, I was all outta luck in 

the human world, too.

     Sitting in the Schwarbers' living room, though--and I 

couldn't even remember the last time I'd sat anywhere in 

that wasn't a group home or a medical facility of some sort--

sitting there with people who I wanted to be with and who seemed 

to want me there, it was--

     Intoxicating?  Overwhelming?  Or maybe more like the first 

time El Brujo had stood on my thighs and patted her front paws 

against my neck while telling me to picture my throat as a 

clenched fist with sand piled on top of it: "Rather than trying 

to smash the sand down over and over in the hopes that some will 

be forced out the other side," she'd said, "imagine the fingers 

and thumb of your throat loosening just enough for those sandy 

words to trickle through."

     Sure, it makes me sound more like a bullfrog than anything 

else, but with practice, I'd gotten so I could string ten or 

twelve words together at a time.  And ever since then--

     Hopeful!  That's the word!  Sitting there with Deena and 

her dad and knowing that reality was a much stranger place than 

most people realize, a cat on my lap who was the best physical 

therapist I'd ever met and a squirrel on my wrist who had 

appointed herself my relationship coach, I could feel this odd 

hopefulness seeping cool and sweet through me like a swallow of 

milk on an empty stomach.  

     And better still, I could see it in Deena's eyes, in her 

smile, in the way she stroked Heather and asked, "You're OK, 

then, Gus?"

     I nodded.  "Things get confusing sometimes," I told her.  

"But I stop and let 'em roll past."  I brought a hand up, mimed 

shading my eyes and peering into the distance.  "Gives me a 

better view of 'em."

     El Brujo flicked her ears in a laugh, but Mr. Schwarber 

sighed.  "That's another hard thing to learn.  Stopping 

not so much to smell the roses but to get out of the way before 

the avalanche you're running along with smashes you into paste."

     "Been there," Deena said quietly.  "And done that."

     "But no more."  I tapped the arm of my chair.  "We're out 

of the rat race now."

     "Rats?"  Serena had been swiveling her head, looking at 

each of us in turn as we spoke, her tail twitching over her 

head.  But now she dug her claws into the sleeve of my jacket 

and huddled down against my arm.  "Of the few human words I 

know, I find that one to be the most unpleasant!"

     "It's OK."  I touched a finger to the fur between her ears, 

went on in animal speech: "We're talking about humans who act 

like the stereotypical rat."

     Serena's eyes widened.  "Are these human rats coming here??  

Because I would not care to meet them!"

     "Ha!"  Heather's tongue lolled out.  "If rats or humans or 

anything in between seek to cause harm here, I shall run at them 

barking until they go away!"

     "Fear not."  El Brujo gave a slow blink.  "As entertaining 

as that would be to watch, I'm fairly certain no one of that 

description can be found within several blocks of this place."  

She turned a smug look back at me.  "One might even begin to 

think we were creating a haven from such things in this little 

corner of the world."

     "I like that," Deena said, and I had a moment of vertigo.  

Had she heard--??  "So how 'bout we race squirrels instead?"

     I blinked, recalled the last thing I'd said in human 

speech, started to form words about having to check with Serena 

first, but before I could squeeze anything out, Serena scrambled 

squeaking up my sleeve.  "Squirrel!  I heard Miss Deena say it!"  

Reaching my shoulder, she chittered a little dance.  "She's 

talking about me!"

     Heather jumped to her paws in Deena's lap.  "Yes!  We're 

all taking part in the conversation!"

     Deena's wide eyes were moving between Serena and Heather, 

and I felt the need to provide some explanation.  "Serena knows 

a few words," I managed to get out.  "And she tends to react to 

them."

     "Wow."  Deena patted Heather's head, the little dog's tail 

spinning like a helicopter rotor.  "Just how hard is it to train 

a squirrel, anyway?  I mean, are they smarter than dogs?"

     El Brujo turned as big a feline grin at me then as I'd ever 

seen from her.  "Uhh," I said.  "I'm gonna take the fifth on 

that one..."


After this, then, we shimmy on down to 43.

No comments:

Post a Comment