Monday, December 26, 2011

Night Thoughts

The penultimate Thursday Prompt from Poetigress was "illumination," and my response to it forms chapter 44 in our continuing saga--I think the overall title's gonna be Neighbors, actually.

If you'd like to read the previous bits first, they are as follows:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43.

And then comes this one.

     Rolling home, using the key I'd forgotten I even had to 

unlock the side door, riding up in the elevator, spending what 

felt like half an hour convincing Serena that she had to sleep 

outside in the bougainvillea rather than tucked up in bed with 

me and El Brujo, muscling myself in and out of the shower before 

crawling into bed and finally closing my eyes for the night, I 

couldn't stop El Brujo's words from rattling around inside my 

head like the little ball in a can of spray paint.

     I mean, who was I to try bringing sense and stability into 

someone else's life?  Half-paralyzed, abandoned except for the 

checks Dad sent every month to pay for my upkeep here at 

Chrysalis House, my brain and nervous system either so tangled 

that I could communicate with animals more easily than people, 

or else so shredded that I simply imagined they were 

talking to me, and here I was thinking I could be helpful!

     "August," El Brujo's voice rumbled from the end of the bed.  

"Don't grind your teeth so.  It's quite disturbing."

     Punching my pillow, I pushed my face into it.  "This is 

crazy, El Brujo.  You know that, right?"

     A shuffle of fur against the nylon cover of the unzipped 

sleeping bag I use for a bedspread.  "You'll need to be more 

specific, I'm afraid," she said.

     That got a little burst of a laugh out of me.  "No, I'm 

talking general.  Everything, in fact, that's happened to me in 

the six months since Donna brought you into the common room 

downstairs, introduced you as Spooky, and said you were the new 

therapy animal."

     "You have an issue with the regimen I have prescribed in 

you case?"

     "I have an issue with you prescribing anything at all!"  

     "This seems an odd time to begin questioning my 

credentials."

     "It's not--!"  I twisted around, glared at the darkness at 

the foot of the bed, knew she was there even though I couldn't 

see her.  "No one else in the entire history of the human race 

has ever been able to actually talk to animals!  I mean, this 

isn't a book or a TV show or anything!  This is me, Gus Lancer, 

a nobody if there ever was one!  Why am I suddenly the 

guy who gets magical powers??"

     "Nothing here is magical, August.  Your nervous system--"

     "But that's crazy!"  It's pretty much impossible to shout 

in animal speech, but I was doing my darnedest.  "For as long as 

there's been people calling themselves scientists, they've been 

studying you animals!  And none of them--none of them--

ever found any sign anywhere that animals can so much as think!  

And if you can't think, you can't talk!"

     I could almost hear her smirk.  "I can name more than a 

dozen humans whose speeches would disprove that theory."

     "I'm serious!"  And I realized I was, my heart pounding, my 

palms sweating, shivers rattling my whole body--or at least 

those parts of my body that still could rattle.  "Why is 

this happening??  Why??"

     El Brujo puffed a little sigh.  "The constant refrain of 

the human race.  Mystery is so very anathema to you, you refuse 

to allow even the tiniest bit of its darkness to shine into your 

lives."

     I stared, her voice seeming to come from everywhere around 

me.  "Darkness and light," she said quietly.  "Inextricable, 

they intertwine, each necessary to show the other.  For shadows 

cannot exist without the sun, nor can illumination unleavened 

and undeterred bring more than blindness."

     Blinking, I felt the night both fold open, vast and deep 

and endless, and hold me close, warm and soft as El Brujo's fur.  

"Perhaps," her voice went on, "you are to bring light out of the 

darkness.  Perhaps you are to cast a bit of shade across the 

brow of one laboring through a blistering afternoon.  Perhaps 

you are to do both simultaneously or one after the other."  A 

damp nudge at my cheek, and everything collapsed into just me 

and El Brujo back in my room, and I almost threw myself sideways 

out onto the floor, almost pounded the call buzzer on the stand 

beside my bed to summon whatever nurse might be on night duty.

     But El Brujo stepping onto my chest kept me from doing any 

of that.  "Mostly, however, August," she said, settling against 

me and purring, "you're meant to be both interested and 

interesting, to enjoy your surroundings while also being 

enjoyable to them.  The give and take of existence, you see."  

She pushed her head under my chin, reached her front paws around 

my neck, and began kneading my pillow.

     Almost by reflex, my arms came up, wrapped gently around 

her, pure relaxation flooding me.  "Thank you," I murmured, and 

letting go whatever need I had for answers, I closed my eyes for 

the night.


Act III of our five act melodrama concludes next with 45!

No comments:

Post a Comment