Friday, November 11, 2011

Passing Inspection

As always, should any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary--

Oops! Sorry! Wrong boilerplate!

What I meant to say was that, as always, the previous parts of this whole adventure serial inspired by Poetigress's Thursday Prompts can be found as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, and 37.

This, then, is part 38. "The scandal" was the phrase that triggered it.

     Both Eric and Donna stood in the hallway when Deena's dad 

and I moved out of the office.  Donna stepped forward, the smile 

broad on her dark face, her hand outstretched.  "Mr. Schwarber?  

I'm Donna Basilone, the resident care manager here at Chrysalis 

House."

     They shook hands, and I tried not to panic.  I like Donna a 

lot, don't get me wrong, but when she's all dressed up in her 

business suit, the black tangles of her hair packed into a bun 

at the back of her head, she just exudes authority.  It's what 

you might call a very effective look: makes me think I'm about 

to be arrested every time I see it, at any rate...

     Add to that the way Eric was looking at Serena, and even 

though the squirrel was standing very nice and quiet in my lap, 

well, as I'd discovered, it was more the existence of the 

animals I brought into the house than their behavior that folks 

objected to.

     Donna was still smiling at Mr. Schwarber.  "I hope you 

don't mind me being forward, but Gus here's one of our favorite 

residents, and I--"  She faltered, something like fear 

fluttering over her like a moth across a porch light, but then 

the smile sprang back into place.  "Is everything OK?"

     El Brujo's ears folded, but it was more in amusement than 

anything else.  "August!  You've become a source of scandal in 

the community!  Well done!"

     I started to object, but Mr. Schwarber was speaking, his 

smile looking more real than Donna's.  "Everything's fine, Ms. 

Basilone.  Gus and my daughter have been getting acquainted over 

the past few days is all."

     Her tail swishing, El Brujo gave a feline laugh.  "'Getting 

acquainted'?  Is that what you profligate youngsters call it 

these days?"

     Waves of cold and heat prickled over me, and I realized I 

was blushing furiously.  "I swear, Bru," I said, never more glad 

that humans couldn't hear animal speech, "I'm gonna make violins 

outta you if you don't--"

     "No, Mr. Augie!"  Serena gave me a stern look over her 

shoulder.  "You have no need for embarrassment!  You and Miss 

Deena will make very good mates, and anyone who sees you 

together will know that to be the truth!"

     Judging from the smirk on Eric's face, he was thinking 

something along those same lines, and I couldn't help letting a 

groan escape.  "Could we please," I got out in words my human 

audience would be able to understand, "not bring the whole house 

in on this?"

     Donna swung a startled expression toward me.  "Gus?"

     I froze for a moment under the scrutiny, but--  "Relax, 

August," El Brujo muttered, shifting across my thighs.  "It's 

merely the longest and most intelligible speech she's ever heard 

from you.  Nothing to be concerned about."

     That made me blink, and I realized it was true.  It still 

took a lot of effort to get my brain, throat, and tongue working 

together, but I guess I'd been doing it more often lately.  Like 

lifting weights: the damn things don't get any lighter, but your 

body gets more able to work with them anyway.

     Her smile now looked almost as genuine as Mr. Schwarber's.  

"Is everything OK?" she asked again, but she was asking me this 

time.

     Holding up a hand, I crossed my index and middle fingers.  

"I'm hoping so," I told her.  "I should be back in an hour or 

so."

     She nodded.  "You have your key?"

     For the life of me, I couldn't think what she meant by 

that, but El Brujo shifted again, saying, "Your key to the side 

door in case you're out past 10PM."  Her tail snaked over to 

whap the little belt pouch I used since pants pockets were 

pretty much useless to me when I was sitting in the chair.  "I 

put it in your pack earlier, so unless you've removed it--"

     "Here," I said out loud, patting the pouch.  "I shouldn't 

be that long."

     "All right."  She turned to Mr. Schwarber and held out her 

hand again.  "A pleasure meeting you, sir."

     "Likewise," he said.  They shook once more, then Donna 

pushed open one of the big doors that led out into the non-

resident side of the house.  Eric got the other; I nodded to him 

and rolled through, Mr. Schwarber right beside me.

Part 39 lies just on the other side of the link earlier in this sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment