Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dollar Diplomacy

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, and 48 come before this, so it must be chapter 49! It's also the final one of these I'll hafta do myself with dictionary and index finger since Duroc'll be starting up the next series of Thursday Prompts next week!

But still, here's this one now.

     I rolled up the Schwarber's driveway to the gate, Deena 

crossing the front lawn to open it, Heather dancing between 

her feet and singing: "Mr. Augie's gonna teach me things!  Mr. 

Augie's gonna teach me things!"

     Not that I had any idea what I was actually going to 

do, of course.  The night before, I'd headed home full 

of intentions: I would Google info on dog training techniques, 

try to develop some steps that would make it look like I 

wasn't communicating directly with Heather, maybe see what 

sorts of whistles or hand gestures or whatever went into the 

actual practice of what I was about to phony up.  But, well...

     See, I'm not that organized a person when you come right 

down to it.  I mean, yes, I've had to get more methodical as 

my legs have slowly seized up and stopped working over the 

past decade, had to become more aware of the constant pull of 

gravity on those parts of me that didn't move properly 

anymore, had to get a handle on how torque works so I wouldn't 

accidently snap any bones by trying to go one way while the 

cold, dead half of me tried to go another.

     But that's the sort of thing that teaches you to live in 

the present, to concentrate on what's going on around you at 

this very moment.  Planning for the future, well, it had been 

a long time since I'd had any thoughts about that...

     Still, Deena opened the gate, and I rolled in along the 

little concrete walkway far enough so she could close it 

behind me.  "Heather?" I said in animal speech.  "Before I 

start teaching you things, I need to talk to Deena about what 

sorts of things she wants me to teach you.  So if you wanna go 

run around or something, that'll be OK."

     "Hooray!"  Heather gave a leap, spun in place three 

times, and settled into the grass, the feathery red fur of her 

tail wrapping around to cover her nose.  "It's been so 

exciting all morning, I could really use a nap!"

     I grinned and heard Deena huff a breath through her nose.  

"I thought she was looking forward to this!"

     "It's OK."  Concentrating, I relaxed my throat.  "'Cause 

we need to figure out exactly what we're doing."

     She gave me a sideways smile.  "When have we ever?"

     And I will honestly say that having her talk to me like I 

was a regular person made me shiver.  "I'm looking to start a 

trend," I told her.

     "Well, OK!"  She brushed dirt off her hands.  "I'm a firm 

believer in trying new things."  Her smile got a little 

rueful.  "It's something that's gotten me into trouble before, 

actually."

     Which was a can of worms I definitely didn't want 

to open.  "Thing is," I went on, "you and Heather speak 

different languages, see?"

     The humor came back into her face.  "So she's a talking 

dog now?"

     "So to speak."

     Deena folded her arms.  "Is that a pun?"

     I held up my hands.  "It's just that she can recognize 

words.  I say 'Heather,' and she--"

     "That's me!"  The puppy seemed to leap from asleep to 

awake and spinning without passing through any step between.  

"Mr. Augie!  You said my name with air and sound and 

ev'rything!"

     "Like that."  I reached down and scratched between 

Heather's ears.  "So seems to me we wanna teach her what some 

other words mean."

     "OK."  Deena squatted down to scratch Heather, too, the 

dog rolling over and giving off little canine giggles.  "So 

how do we do that?"

     "Bribery," El Brujo said behind me, and I turned, 

blinked, couldn't see her anywhere.

     "Gus?"  I looked back, Deena watching me with concern.  

"Is everything--?"  Her voice cut off, her concern melting 

back into her smile, her gaze moving past me.  "Oh!  It's your 

cat!"

     Turning again, I saw El Brujo emerging from the ivy that 

clogged the passage between the west side of the Shwarbers' 

house and their fence on that side.  She padded across their 

driveway, her tail stright up like a flagpole, and somehow 

squeezed between the slats of their fence, something I 

would've bet money she could've done.

     "Miss Brujo!" Heather trumpeted, charging toward her with 

all the strength of her two-inch-long legs.  "You're down here 

on the ground, the same ground that I'm down on!  Now 

we can play and play and play and--!"

     "Be cautious, child."  El Brujo sat and licked the back 

of a paw, its claws arching out just a bit.  "Parts of me get 

rather prickly when they're played with too roughly."

     Heather skidded to a halt, her tongue lolling, her tail 

vibrating.  "Then may we play gently??  Please??  May we??"

     "In a moment perhaps."  El Brujo glanced up at me.  "Mr. 

Augie is making his lesson plan, after all."

     "Wow," from Deena.  "Looks like there's some 

communication going on there."

     Which was when the light bulb went off.  "Bribery!" I 

said.

     Deena blinked at me, and I realized I'd used human 

language.  "Treats," I went on.  "Rewards if she gets the word 

right."

     I could see the light bulb thing happen to her, too.  

"Ah!  You mean cookies!"

     "Cookies??"  Heather leaped toward Deena's ankles.  "This 

teaching things has cookies in it??  Can this day get any 

better??  Because I don't see any way that it could!"

     And I swear, both El Brujo and Deena said it at the exact 

same time: "Another word she knows."

     Not laughing out loud right then was the hardest thing 

I'd done in a while.  "A place to start, then," I told them.

No comments:

Post a Comment