Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Half the Day is Night, Prologue

So I've started a pony epic. The basic story came to me after I watched the first two episodes of Friendship is Magic however long ago that was, and it's my vision of the 1st season finale. I figure it'll take me 12 or 15 chapters to get through, and I'm planning to fill it with romance, palace intrigue, and swashbuckling adventure. But here's the little prologue first.

      The three-quarter moon inched over the horizon, reddish-

yellow as the leaves Celestia could hear rustling in the breeze 

that washed down from the heights of the mountain behind her.  

Stepping forward on her balcony, she closed her eyes and 

breathed it in.  "Beautiful," she sighed.

      "Thank you."  Luna's voice, so much softer now than 

Celestia remembered, but even a year and a quarter since her 

sister's return, she still felt like dancing whenever she heard 

it.

      She glanced sideways at her smaller, darker sister.  "I 

missed you the most in autumn.  Each night longer than the last, 

and me with hardly enough ideas to fill them all."

      Luna shrugged.  "You did OK.  I mean, all the basic parts 

still work and everything."

      "I had a lot of help."  Celestia looked back at the moon 

and thought of ponies whose grandchildren's grandchildren had 

long since grown old around her.  "That first night after 

you...after you were gone, I did something wrong and managed to 

blow out half the stars.  A couple old earth ponies showed me a 

trick for burning marsh gas in vessels, teams of unicorns 

replicated the effect on a much larger scale, and every pegasus 

in Equestria flew multiple sorties to get the new stars aloft."

      "Yes.  I--"  Luna stopped, cleared her throat.  "I can feel 

their hoofprints, like...like where it was always just me 

shaping the night before, now there's...there's all these others 

mixed in.  And I--"  Again a stop, another breath.  "I'd like to 

know their names, Celestia.  I'd like to know who they were."

     Celestia nodded, and as she began telling Luna the story, a 

thought began forming in the back of her mind.

Things then continue in chapter 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment